Yoga Classes in Portland

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about signing up for yoga classes and compared prices. turns out that a membership to 24hour fitness is cheaper in the long run. they have tons of yoga and pilates classes (plus many other classe too) that you don't have to pay extra for. this way you also can use their gym and other equipment on top of the free classes.

I have found all of the instructors very very good at the Hollywood and Pearl gyms.

I thought about signing up for yoga classes and compared prices. turns out that a membership to 24hour fitness is cheaper in the long run. they have tons of yoga and pilates classes (plus many other classe too) that you don't have to pay extra for. this way you also can use their gym and other equipment on top of the free classes.

I have found all of the instructors very very good at the Hollywood and Pearl gyms.

You can't unite your mind, body, and spirit at a fitness gym thumbs_down.gif

well the room was big and cold for one thing. Second, the instructors weren't very experienced in yoga - they taught it more like a quasi-yoga-aerobic-fitness class. They didn't even know what the poses were called. There was no personal attention or correction. But maybe I was spoiled by the first rate instructors at Holidays. I swear Eugene could twist himself up like a pretzel! cantfocus.gif

Mike - are you going to be a chiro soon? My mother's looking for some relief for a bad knee (torn meniscus), pinched nerve, sciatica (sp?) bad back and she mentioned going to a chiropracter which frankly has me alittle worried. confused.gif

why would that worry you?

wouldn't you rather have your mom explore non-invasive alternatives to drugs and surgery?

As long as she doesn't go to a high-volume chiropractor and sees one that uses other modalities in addition to just pure adjustments nothing but good should come of it - kinda like going to an MD that doesn't just prescribe meds, a PT that only demonstates exercises, or naturopath that only reccomends vitamin supplements.

i still have 7.5 more quarters to go, so I'm "dangerous" to give specific advice on what she should do, but it sounds like she has some sort of imbalance (skeletal, muscular, posture, etc...) that is setting off a chain rxn of events that are causing her problems. could be as simple as one leg may be too short or her pelvis needs and adjustment...or compicated and none of them are related and need to be addressed individually. humans are complicated and no one can actually claim to know what is really wrong with anyone. all you can do is expirement and go with what make you feel better- that;s the bottom line. whatever works. shit, she could go to a hypnotherapist and possible have her problems work. sometime these things just happen for unknown reasons, and have a natural history of just working themselves out.

• 5 weeks later...

Just across the river to the North is a very good yoga center. It is located in the old Academy building, about 2 minutes past the interstate bridge.

The center is run by Yvonne, and she sometimes tailors the emphasis in her classes to work on climbing flexibility and balance. Several climbers (rock and alpine) are members and she takes care of us.

www.shantiforeveryone.com