watch out -sponge bob is going to ruin america

minx

that evil sponge bob

OK-sponge bob is a little odd but these people have lost it.

My personal favorite

"Yesterday however, Paul Batura, assistant to Dobson, said Focus on the Family stood by its assertions. "We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said. "

The whole article

Conservative group targets 'pro-homosexual' SpongeBob video

THEY HAVE MET THE ENEMY -- SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK

THE NEW YORK TIMES

WASHINGTON -- On the heels of electoral victories to bar same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.

In many circles, SpongeBob needs no introduction. He is popular among children and grownups as well who watch him cavorting under the sea on the Nickelodeon cartoon program that bears his name. In addition, he has become a camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick.

Now, Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside other children's television characters such as Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The video's makers, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools this spring to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity." He urged his allies to stand against it as part of a "spiritual battle" for the country.

The video's creator, Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit "We Are Family," says Dobson's objection stemmed from a misunderstanding. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to create a music video featuring 100 well-known cartoon characters dancing to his song in order to teach children about multiculturalism.

The video has appeared on Nickelodeon and other networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The "tolerance pledge," which was borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video.

Rodgers suggested that Dobson and the American Family Association, the conservative Christian group that first sounded the alarm, might have been confused by an unrelated Web site belonging to another group called "We Are Family." That site is owned by a Charleston, S.C., group that supports gay youth.

Mark Barondeso, general counsel for the We Are Family Foundation, suggested that anyone who says the video promotes homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased."

Yesterday however, Paul Batura, assistant to Dobson, said Focus on the Family stood by its assertions. "We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

conservatives are just plain fucked in the head...excuse my french...

The ones who are fucked in the head are the twisted fucks that mentally rape children by taking away their innocence, force-feeding homosexuality down their throats with cartoon characters.

You might as well just hand everyone's kid over to Michael Jackson for a sleepover!

Was that a tangential, somewhat unrelated remark, or did you miss this part of the quoted story:

"The video has appeared on Nickelodeon and other networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The "tolerance pledge," which was borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video."

The ones who are fucked in the head are the twisted fucks that mentally rape children by taking away their innocence, force-feeding homosexuality down their throats with cartoon characters.

You might as well just hand everyone's kid over to Michael Jackson for a sleepover!

Lame to say all conservatives are screwed up, but KaskadskyjKozak are you just being sarcastic? I might have said this before but I didn't learn what fisting, mud wallowing, and watersports were until I read the Oregon Citizens' Alliance entry in the measure 9 voter's manual in 6th grade. I don't think that was "the Gays" shoving their homosexuality down my throat.

Was that a tangential, somewhat unrelated remark, or did you miss this part of the quoted story:

"The video has appeared on Nickelodeon and other networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The "tolerance pledge," which was borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video."

I picked up on this comment:

Now, Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside other children's television characters such as Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The video's makers, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools this spring to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity."

Since I have not seen the video, I have no idea how it portrays "sexual identity". I would not be surprised if it stepped over a line. My general feeling is to

leave the kiddies in elementary school with some semblance of innocence. If you want to teach tolerance at that age there are better ways to do it without overtly exposing them to the specific issue of sexuality.

you are an f-ing idiot....has anyone ever been able to "persuade" you about how you felt identity-wise? I don't think so..., but maybe you felt a choice, did you? Were you confused and did someone tell you the right way to go??? huh??

So the whole argument is moot about how it might or might not corrupt children...IT WON'T, they are either homosexual or they are not, period! This is just conservative rightwing whackos trying to hold on to the moral majority by screaming "fire" in a theatre instead of recognizing just how fucked up this administration is...in short, its a red herring...

Now why don't you just go fuck off, bitch! the_finger.gif

you are an f-ing idiot....has anyone ever been able to "persuade" you about how you felt identity-wise? I don't think so..., but maybe you felt a choice, did you? Were you confused and did someone tell you the right way to go??? huh??

Listen shit-for-brains, my point has nothing to do with "converting" kids to be gay. It has to do with the appropriateness of foisting sexual issues on them at an early age (elementary school) - and doing so with cartoon characters at that. Children are already sexualized at an early age, which opens them up to problems like sexual abuse. At the very least, it is confusing to them.

If the point is to teach "tolerance" in general, there are ways to do this without delving into Barney fucking Sponge Bob up the ass. If you disagree, then you are free to use such learning aids to teach your children.

the_finger.gif

Listen shit-for-brains, my point has nothing to do with "converting" kids to be gay. It has to do with the appropriateness of foisting sexual issues on them at an early age (elementary school) - and doing so with cartoon characters at that. Children are already sexualized at an early age, which opens them up to problems like sexual abuse. At the very least, it is confusing to them.

If the point is to teach "tolerance" in general, there are ways to do this without delving into Barney fucking Sponge Bob up the ass. If you disagree, then you are free to use such learning aids to teach your children.

the_finger.gif

if the freakin' conservatives wouldn't made such a big deal out of it, you think the kids would've even noticed a sexual connotation to the fact that two buddies were holdin' hands?

Get a life, moron....

kk

have you ever watched sponge bob? or any cartoons recently?

i'd say that the disney heroines are a lot more sexulized than anything in spongebob. no reference to sexual identity is made in the video. i agree that some of the stuff in kids shows is a bit over the top but frankly, sponge bob doesn't even make the top 10 list for introducing sexuality. every disney movie ever made beats it. the little mermaid? pocohontas? the list goes on and on.

if the freakin' conservatives wouldn't made such a big deal out of it, you think the kids would've even noticed a sexual connotation to the fact that two buddies were holdin' hands?

Get a life, moron....

It's the left-wingers who are making the big deal about "it" - bringing sexuality into elementary schools, dickhead. It is *they* who manufacture this propaganda.

As for a life, I have one. Do you?

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

No, you are the highlight of my life...of course i also enjoy conversing with dead houseplants and lampposts so you fit right in...

as far as i can tell this whole thing was brought about by the rightwingers...teaching tolerance has absolutely nothing to do with teaching sexuality...or maybe it does in your book..."I'll tolerate those that are just like me"....

the question was do *i* have a life. not do *i have a public schoo life* perhaps you spent too much of your education in the public schools.

You interjected a comment which implied that rejecting early sexualization of children was somehow an infringement on the private lives of gays.

i'm still confused what the downside of teaching children tolerance is? confused.gif

Then reread my comments. You can teach tolerance to elementary-aged children without bringing homosexual themes into the lesson. The lesson can address differences in general - the application to specific differences will be crystal clear.