backing up yer rap?

gapertimmy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i 97% of the time back up my rap and when i do not i ask myself why??

i prefer to put the prussik under the belay device in most cases...everyone's it will get stuck in the device issue can be mitigated by keeping your brake hand on the prussik...you actually have to as the rope does not feed well without the prussik being held...so you are managaing it....once weihgted the the prussik underneath the device is easily freed, mush easier then if the prussik was above....

on passing knots...you know when you are going to do it....so in that case i will use the prussik above the belay device....

no one way is correct and if done correctly no one way is wrong...i think it is very important to be able to do both flawlessy.....

so who ever thinks one way is better then the other should do both in different situations....

the best way to overcome problems in the mountains is being flexiable and having a broad information base....

Using an autoblock, also called a third hand, is a preferred method in the guiding community. I don't quite understand the significance of all the references to passing the knot as most recreational climbers descend via one or two ropes, not multiple ropes tied together. The advantage of the autoblock is that the climbers bodyweight is never on the hitch, it merely serves to hold the rope in the braking position below the device. Therefore it is quite easy to loosen the hitch after it "locks". A friction hitch (whatever you want to call it) above the device, if loaded, will be holding close to all of the climbers weight. This can create an annoying situation if the terrain is steep or overhanging. Certain types of cord, especially small diameter, are a bit difficult to manage on rappell as they will will want to catch, bite, get loaded on the main line. Dealing with this is a pain in the ass, as if rappelling isn't dangerous enough. The climbers weight will have to be put on the rap line via another friction hitch, above the loaded prusik, then the initial prusik unweighted. Other ways as well which are great fun to pracice while trying to get off something quickly! Kidding. Autoblocks are nice whenever a person would like to make rappelling safer, or things are not so good for whatever reason. Worth mentioning the autoblock generally slows low angle rappelling to a crawl and can be annoying. Use the firemans for the second and subsequent climbers to descend.

quote:

Originally posted by dave:

Worth mentioning the autoblock generally slows low angle rappelling to a crawl and can be annoying.

It's also annoying when rappeling a full rope length as the extra weight of the rope makes for a tedious rappel w/ that much friction. I tend to avoid using an autoblock (or anything) here. As for the knot-passing, there must be a lot of cavers on this site running the big drops [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

no one way is correct and if done correctly no one way is wrong...i think it is very important to be able to do both flawlessy.....

so who ever thinks one way is better then the other should do both in different situations....

the best way to overcome problems in the mountains is being flexiable and having a broad information base....

Best thoughts yet. I'll be working on the "other way" to add to my bag or tricks. Can't have too many.