Load multiplication and belay devices

crazyjizzy

The latest AAC Alpine News has a reply by Helut Microys regarding load multiplications and belay devices. These results may have a bearing on the cause of a recent accident.

Static devices (the Gri-gri in this test) resulted in loads on the un-anchored belayer of greater than 4kN, resulting in protection loads of greater than 7kN. Belays using either a Munter hitch, or a Tuber resulted in belay forces of 1.7 to 2.8kN, and pro loads of 4-5kN. It was also thought that the greater forces caused by the Gri-gri can cause carabiner flutter (the rapid opening and closing of the gate). This is similar to the situation caused by rip runners before we knew enough to use lockers on them. Carabiners have gate open strengths typically only slightly above 7kN.

These results may not be directly transferable to an actual climbing situation due to the very low friction of the protection pulley, but they are worrisome.

It is thought that static devices should not be used for belaying the leader at all.

[ 10-17-2002, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: crazyjz ]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Canary - yeah it says right here its a 5.4. No you can't look at the guidebook! WHAT! Dont you trust me? Youre climbing with a partner that you dont trust? we might as well just pack up and head home right now then!
[Wink][laf]

Insane, but LMAO hilarious! [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Easy 5.4 does Midway sound like easy 5.4
[big Grin]

Midway was fun and thought provoking to follow. but placing the pro would be HARD!!!!!! would want an atentive belaier... and if you ask me...nothing in L-worth is "easy" I'm talking "toy box" easy or "5th collum" easy

[Razz]

quote:

Static devices (the Gri-gri in this test) resulted in loads on the un-anchored belayer of greater than 4kN, resulting in protection loads of greater than 7kN. Belays using either a Munter hitch, or a Tuber resulted in belay forces of 1.7 to 2.8kN, and pro loads of 4-5kN. It was also thought that the greater forces caused by the Gri-gri can cause carabiner flutter (the rapid opening and closing of the gate).

Very cool test info. I've seen numerous dumbasses belaying trad leads with gri-gri's!!! The Petzl literature clearly says that it is for sport climbing and not for adventure climbing. Go figure...

I'm thinking that a force-on-belayer of 2.8kN seems enormous. There's about .22 pounds in a Newton, and so we're talking about a force of 630 pounds or so. I can't remember catching even a big guy where my feet ever left the ground (I weigh about 150).

Interesting discussion nevertheless.

I know, I know...but if I don't get lifted, then the force on me can't be > 150 lbs, right? I think the forces on the top piece of pro are probably a few factors higher. My biggest fall ever was on a #0 TCU, on the 2nd pitch of Beetle Bailey. It was probably 25+ feet, but the cams looked good! With rope stretch and friction/abrasion to the climber, etc., I think forces are usually well below what the 'quipment is designed to withstand. My partner (climbing partner, smarty pants) said he didn't even feel it.

Crazy, where you at these days? God I miss you!