Colorado Drivers: New Left Lane Law

treknclime

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

" The law is in effect at all times on all multi-lane 65 mph or higher roads, with the only exception being 'rush hour,' or other times of day when all lanes are in use."

Yeah, but it's rush hour 24 hours a day here in the Puget Sound. All lanes are always in use here.

But I agree with the point that too many people piddle in the fast lane. In the UK drivers do it right without thinking about it. They only get in the fast lane to pass. It's surprising how much easier it is to keep speeds up.

The problem in America is everyone thinks they're going fastest, so they're in the fast lane waiting for the guy in front of them to get out of their way. But the guy in front of them thinks he's going faster. And on and on it goes.

But, if you are in the fast lane in a long row of cars, if you should decide to go into the next lane over, then before you know it the gap you left has been closed and you have to wait for 15 cars to go past you on the left before you can get back in the fast lane. Meanwhile, the lane you just got in to is going 1 or 2 MPH slower. So you can't win. The only way to make it work is to have a massive collective change in driving mentality. Not going to happen.

There is a law like this in Washington. On the way back from Squish this summer I was pulled over for driving in the left hand lane. Granted, I just got a warning but he said that unless you are actively passing then you need to stay on the right.

I guess I'm glad you just got a warning, but I'm also glad to see that a cop actually enforced this concept. I too am convinced that the U.S. is just a lost cause in this area.

There is a law like this in Washington. On the way back from Squish this summer I was pulled over for driving in the left hand lane. Granted, I just got a warning but he said that unless you are actively passing then you need to stay on the right.

reminds me of an old GF back home in the midwest. she thought it was her god-given right to drive in the fast lane as long as she was doing at least 55 mph.

I'll never forget the day a semi truck was bearing down on us as she putted along at 55 on I-29, refusing to get out of the way. He was blowing his horn about 6 inches off her bumper and she absolutely refused to budge. People were driving by in the middle lane looking over at us and all I could do is put up my hands and shrug my shoulders....what else are you going to do with a headstrong woman who's very pissed off?

Through Seattle truckers are allowed to drive in the fast lane but they're not allowed on the expressway. They are allowed in the fast lane because there are a number of exits off of the fast lane (Mercer Street, Hwy 520 from southbound I-5, Seneca Street, for example).