Marketing Tele- Rand. vs. Tel or Rand.?

Jens

Why are some of the latest skis labeled as telemark-randonee, just telemark, or just randonee when all the dimensions are the same? Is the flex pattern different for all 3 types of classifications or is it just a marketing thing? I have intimite knowledge of alpine skis but limited tele knowledge as I am not a tele skiier. Anyone know? bigdrink.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part it is marketing. There is a strong pattern by the companies to make the Tele versions of skis somewhat softer in flex by removing a layer or changing the material in a layer to acheive it.

Skiers who are looking for more stiffness are often using alpine skis, so some companies like Tua before the plug got pulled were acknowledging what folks were already doing and billed their skis as being usable for both. Sometimes the Tele versions of skis, whether they are truly different than the alpine version or not, may be a different price than the alpine version (for tele, sometimes less).

Whether the characteristics between Tele or Rando marketed versions are actually different may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

In the past, many so called tele skis were made in the same molds as alpine skis, but with a lay up that gave them a softer flex. This is probably still true for some skis (dunno which ones) but with tele skiers becoming much more agressive in recent years, the demand for soft skis has lessened. You'll see lots of tele skiers ripping it up on super stiff alpine boards. These days, I'd say the major difference between alpine and tele/rando skis for backcountry use is weight.

As mentioned above, its also mostly marketing. Take the new G3 skis for example. G3 is mostly a tele-centric company, but it would have been a poor business decision for them to introduce "tele only" skis since the market is so small. Instead, they've marketed them as having been designed for both tele and randonee use, even though the primary designer (Paul Parker of Tua fame) is well known for his tele skis.

The best advice I've heard is to mount whatever binding you like onto whatever ski you like, and just give 'er! thumbs_up.gif

this is more tele v. alpine, but ... i recently called karhu about its ruckits, which were rumored to be the same as line's mavericks to get the real scoop. they are the same ski except the ruckit has a topsheet beneath the foot that makes it stiffer (to accomodate the pressure put on that area by the tele turn). the ruckit was going for about half the price of the line ... so i got the ruckit.