Flying with a cannister stove

MattLinden

I don't know if I'll get a straight answer about this from the airline, and I've heard various rumors. Has anyone traveled with a canister stove (no canisters of course) in their checked airline luggage? Does anyone know the rule? It has been used.

Edited by MattLinden

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've asked the question of several airlines. Basically if they search your luggage and find the stove, any kind, unless it is unused and in original store packaging, you cannot fly with it. I have not flown recently with stoves, and so do not know how this goes now, but I have flown post 9/11 and I used to just clean out the MSR fuel bottle with alcohol, air dry everthing, and just pack it. While it is true that a "dry" stove is just a piece of metal, airlines have taken the stand that any stove is a problem and cannot fly.

Certainly do not take canisters

See line below.....

wave.gif

since a cartridge stove is really nothing but a chunk of metal (similar to climbing hardware), i don't think you will have any problem if you put it in checked baggage. i suggest putting it near the top of your bag in case tsa employees get curious and search your bags. obviously, don't try and fly with the gas canisters. tsa also restricts how many lighters (2, i was told---they searched my bags) you can have in checked luggage.

i recently flew domestic/international with a msr stove and liquid fuel bottles. i dismantled the stove, cleaned the bottles (like tshimko) and left them uncapped near the top in checked baggage. my bag was searched both ways but they didn't take the stove or bottles.

hope that helps.