Cheap Tickets to Africa

cj001f

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Africa is a big place, made even bigger by the lack of transportation infrastructure in many areas. Where are you trying to go?

Yes, I know it's a big place. East Africa (Kenya/Tanzania) and South Africa (Jo'burg, Durban, Capetown). South Africa has reasonably affordable tickets from the West Coast ~$1500.

I got the beta on your trip if you need it - place to Nairobbery - Kili - Kenya - Drakensberg - Mulange - etc etc. Let me know if you have questions. You will be very happy. If you get a chance, check out Lake Malawi - not the shit hole on the Southern end of the lake, but the nicer tourist village further north. Lakeside huts for $2/day. Chicas. Corn cobs. Banana pizzas.

Hey cj001f, give these guys a call, LION OF JUDAH TRAVEL 323-936-1101. I think this is there California office number, but they have an office here too. I think it goes under the African Travel Consortium (206) 363-6136. They were the cheapest that I found. I am going to be living in Rwanda and will be looking for climbing partners in the surronding area, which Kenya and Tanzania fall under. Let me know if you want to hook up and climb out there.

East Africa (Kenya/Tanzania) and South Africa (Jo'burg, Durban, Capetown). South Africa has reasonably affordable tickets from the West Coast ~$1500.

Sorry, been too long since I was in East or Southern Africa. Used to be cheapest to fly through London bucket shops, but probably no longer true. I used Airbrokers International once for African flights and got good prices, honest service, knowledgeable advice...but this, too, might have changed.

If feeling adventurous, try the rock in north-central Mozambique (Nampula Province, as best I remember).

How long are you going to be there???

A better question is how long will the ice be there - the Diamond's almost gone I think.

I am planning on being there over a year, maybe longer. I have heard that the ice is receeding and going away fast so I am curious to see what will be there, if any.

Actually i've heard the Diamond is gone and hasn't been back in several years. In 2001, the locals said they hadn't seen it in at least three years.

Luckily the rock on Mt. Kenya is SCHWING schweet with lots of potential for new routes, hard free shit, aid lines, all kind of sweet stuff if you want to carry all your shit up to 17k through the vertical bog.

Actually i've heard the Diamond is gone and hasn't been back in several years. In 2001, the locals said they hadn't seen it in at least three years.

That's what I'd heard. I did find this pic from Oct 2003:

Mt.%20Kenya%27s%20Diamond%20Couloir.jpg

Are the Ruwenzori open? Still as dangerous as they were?