MT HOOD MEADOWS 10 TIME PASS

AARON1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to get a 10-time pass for Meadows, but I thought some of us were considering a boycott of that place....talking with some locals on the north side of hood, it looks like the plans over there will probably either be scaled back or suspended.

I think the 10-time thing is a good deal on some decent terrain, but I hate to give them my money.

Anyone know of special deals at SkiBowl? It seems like they always have some that aren't really advertised. Last year:

- AAA discount brought a midweek pass to $20.

- One Friday there was a deal that if you came in with a receipt proving you bought $5 worth of certain Oregon products you got a free ticket. Funny thing was that one of the things you could buy was an Oregon scratch ticket. I bought five and won a buck on three, and ended up with a $2 ski day (though I don't recall ever turning them in [Roll Eyes] ).

Darnit now, don't be dissin' on SkiBowl. 45 minutes away, and like a 750 ft vert on the upper bowl! Really though, there's some fun terain there.

I'm boycotting Meadows this year (and have let them know why in writing). That said, first big powder day that Heather Canyon opens I'll probably be there, hmmm. [big Grin]

I've been to Schwitzer once, and it was a great hill. They hadn't any siginficant snowfall in a week, but we still mangaged to cut up some fresh stuff in the trees. If you were there for a big storm, it would be fantastic, but they aren't really in the Cascade storm track, so you gotta watch the weather. We left Schwitzer and bailed for Bachelor, where we got a major dump that made for a couple of the best days I've ever had at an area. But then again, I love those big trees (and my helmet)

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

I've been to Schwitzer once...they aren't really in the Cascade storm track, so you gotta watch the weather. We left Schwitzer and bailed for Bachelor, where we got a major dump that made for a couple of the best days I've ever had at an area...

Aren't really in the Cascade storm track? What, do Cascade storms stop in the Cascades? Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the storms that hit the Cascades come out of the Gulf of Alaska, and trend from the southwest or west, occasionally the northwest as with today's weather: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalWide.asp?loc=kgeg&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none Sure, most of the energy of these storms are spent on the Cascades, but as they continue east they dump again on the ranges they cross, including and especially Schweitzer's Selkirk range of Idaho. Sometimes the Cascades hold back the drizzle just for the west side, but for most systems, including those that "dump," plenty of moisture is left over for us east-siders and those in the eastern foothills of the Rockies. And the white stuff is generally drier, too. Of course it's variable, and you do have to watch the weather. This past winter our Inland Northwest got some of the best, driest, biggest dumps when the rest of the west was bare--some of our dumps last winter came from the south, and even the east and north.

In answer to your question, troubleski, yes it's worth the drive, especially if you're skiing a couple days. Of the 5 INW area resorts, Schweitzer is considered by most to be the only "destination"-type (the other 4 resorts are, in my order of ranking, 49 Deg No, Silver Mtn., Mt. Spokane, Lookout Pass). And of course it's dependent on the weather and where the snow is, like OW finding that dump at Bachelor. Locals here, just like everywhere else, watch the weather and head off to the hill or their favorite BC stashes where we know the snow is fresh. Among my paltry 40+ ski days last winter, I spent 4-5 days passing on the bigger resorts to be at tiny Lookout Pass' single chair and BC for 1'-2' fresh dumps and face shots the others didn't have. And if you're headed east, don't overlook Whitewater and Red Mountain just north of the friendly border, and a little further north, Fernie.

Cheers, Steve in Spokane

Hey there Pindude, I don't mean to belittle the snowpack out there, and my observation is somewhat limited (I only look when I'm thinking about going) but I kept seeing Steven's get multiple 18" overnight dumps and Schweitzer report 1" in 7 days for the same time period. Maybe you're in the track but sometimes the good stuff gets wrung out of the clouds before it makes it over to you? For what its worth, Mission Ridge mostly seems to get much less snow out of a storm than the areas closer to the crest (but one could argue that its better snow). Does stuff further east, like the Big Mountain in Montana still count as inland NW? There's some great hills out in your neck of the woods, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from checking them out, I'd just say check the conditions and predictions before heading that far away. Schweitzer is just about top of my list for places I'd like to be for a big dump.

Thanks for the info guys... I have a friend who is living out there and I am going to crash with her for a few weekends... When do you think the snow is generaly best there.???.. I need to plan when to take time off.

I think the Ducks might be after me though... they are in league with the Snaffles

quote:

Originally posted by troubleski:

When do you think the snow is generaly best there.???..

Winter is often best.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I've got the same kind of scheduling thing, got to pick a time quite a ways in advance to have everything else in life arranged for a longer abscence. If you can't be flexible about when to go, the only answer is to be flexible about destination, and go where the snow is good.