Yasser Arafat Deathwatch

Dru

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a shame that his life's work actually had a massively negative impact on his major ambition - if you believe that the said ambition was actually Palestinian statehood. If he was intent on discrediting this cause with tactics that were sure to fail on the millitary, political, and moral levels then the man was a spectacular success.

Sharon was backed into a corner, he had no choice but to do something

I'm sure that Arafat will find some way to screw it up...

He might get exposed for the total fruad that he is.

A very strange situation indeed, the Palistinians need Isreal to go away.

As soon as this happens, the population will reject any government that suggests peace with Isreal.

It is hard to get international respect when you don't have a country, with not much hope of one.

I think many Israelis would appreciate a Palestinian leader who has not had a long history of terrorism and who is better capable of controlling his own people. I haven't been following things enough to know who will fill the void left by Arafat and if there will be a power struggle.

I was hoping for better from Arafat in the past ten years. I was thinking that maybe since he was getting old, he wanted to leave the world knowing he did something really good and left a lasting impact. Arafat was off to a decent start, but I think things totally went afoul with Sharon came into power (actually before then, when Sharon basically spit in the face of the Palestinians by entering a contested mosque). I think the ill-timed assassination of Rabin (by some fucking rightwing Israeli assholes) derailed much of the peace process.

Anyway, Israel's kinda of between a rock and a hard place. Peace isn't going to get any easier as the years go on. The impoverished Palestinian population is growing rapidly , and they're only getting poorer. That isn't making them happier.