[Gear] Bro Model Ski Review

gapertimmy

I had a chance this weekend to ride on some fine boards down in Tahoe. A few folks on cc.com who frequent other bbs systems may have already heard of the Bro Model, but thought I'd spread the good word here too.

bromodelskis.jpg

Imagine a group of fellas who love nothing more than skiing... now imagine that same group of dudes drinking pitchers of beer and dreaming up the perfect ski... the result of the ski passion, partying, and hours of work, and you have the bro model.

[tech]

04-05 marks the innagural season for the Bro-Model, PM Gear USA's first ski offering. The ski comes in two models, soft and stiff, both offered at 188cm. She is a shapely little lover too: 125-99-114 (tip-waist-tail in mm). And, ideally enough for the jibber in all of us, the bro comes equipped with twin tips.

Other geek details from pmgear's site:

CONSTRUCTION:

* Super light laminated fir cores

* Extra-wide Rockwell 48 edges

* UHMW (P-Tex) sidewalls

* 2 layers of anti-vibration, dampening rubber

* 22 oz. triaxial fiberglass weave

* P-Tex 4001 bases

* Flared tail with full edge wrap

* Handmade in limited quantities in the U.S.

[soft model]

i started my day out at kirkwood on the soft bro. i'll admit i was a bit skeptical at first... the ski's seemed a bit wide in the waist for a resort on piste ski, but my first lift served run of the season quickly proved me wrong. these puppies like to turn. the softbro carved turns through the groomers with ease, super quick edge to edge, easily guiding my gaper ass down the first run of the year... the next few runs took the bro into the trees where it handled a mixture of rain crust and soft fluff with ease. stoked.

[stiff model]

the stiffy would give any skier wood. with a similar hand flex comprable to an explosiv, the stiff model promised to be a stellar ski. again, this bro cruised through the end of day crud at kirkhood with ease. i was still blown away with how quickly the bro moved from edge to edge, much easier to steer down the hardpack than my bandits. back in the raind crust/tracked fluff the stiff bro did not miss a beat. superb float, and a nice wide shovel ate up the last few turns of the day.

[summary]

unfortunatley the kirkhood resort didn't have any rails out for me to try these bad boys out in the park hahaha.gif, but i walked back to the truck with a big smile on my face.

the bro's imho would make a fine ski for general all-around pnw cruisin. from groomed to crud, and in the fluff this bro performs. amazingly enough, the bro is also delightfully light... even with a heavy demo binding mounted.

The Bro Stiff will find a home in the gaper quiver with some fritschis. 3 Sisters, meet the bro.

get some.

more info: PM Gear Website

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a number of grass roots ski comapnies popping up, but this is the first i've seen that is more backcountry focused, as apposed to freeski jib focused... thought folks might want to see there are some other options out there.

iain, theres always room for more skis in any budget!