Climb 5.12 Any suggestions

aLx_JustcliMbing

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read many times people saying concentrate on your footwork, get better footwork, but what does that mean? Granted I'm not climbing 5.12 yet, but I imagine I will be in the forseeable future, especially with the new gym opening in Olympia soon. grin.gif My opinion of good footwork is having the ability to use very small footholds effectively. What that means is understanding the optimal position to have your foot in while on the hold. Typically when you're talking about very small footholds, your foot will only stay on them when your foot is in one certain position. The key is keeping your foot in that position while moving the rest of your body to make other moves. So keeping that tension in your foot and the rest of your body in order to keep your foot on is crucial. This is easier said than done, but once you gain this understanding your footwork becomes much better. Also important is weight distribution between your different points of contact (i.e. hands and feet). Knowing how much weight your feet can hold is very important to climbing efficiently. The more weight you have on your feet, the less weight that you have on your hands. I believe RUMR said that climbing 5.12 in the PNW doesn't require great amounts of strength, just good technique. In my opinion that's footwork and weight distribution. Sure you need to know how to move your body in relation to the holds available to you, but that will come in time. Anyways just my $.02. Good luck and keep working at it. bigdrink.gif