Waterproofing glove palm leather?

Jens

Has anyone come up with what they think is a really good waterproofing treatment for the leather palms on ice gloves? Anyone care to share?

I want something that will:

*Keep the leather flexible (even in extreme cold)

*Make the palm as waterproof as possible

*Not make an oily, waxy, or "siliconey" mess that will get all over my caribiners, cams, & ropes as I may ice climb Sat. & rock climb on Sunday. I don't want any residue at all on my rock gear.

*Grips ice tools really well.

*Lasts a while

Anyone try heating up the leather a little bit first?

Anyone try ski wax? snow-seal? Nikwax liquid? Nikwax grease? Biwell? Kiwi dress shoe polish? Waterprrofing sprays? Scotchguard? Mink oil? Camp coat spray? Any other mystery gel?

Any other techniques?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for my old drytool gloves, I smeared the entire palm with seam grip. Not sure if it is waterproof but it did make the leather last longer. But the seam grip does peal off with use. Thanks for the interesting question that we all can learn a good trick from. (not being sarcastic.)

gene

Eskimos like to piss on the leather and then chew on it.

Seriously though, I have only liked using leather palmed gloves for 20 years of ice climbing. All the synthetics suck and wear out too fast.

I have a pair of wool mittens with leather palm sewed on and I have used snowseal every year. Put on warm, and not day or hour before you head out. Mine are still supple, and kinda sticky, but I've never had the shit rub off on my gear. Don't over apply.

I am trying the nikwax liquid on my Cloudveil ice gloves, but I think I need many more applications to see if it works. Put the shit on when the leather is wet!

I also have used mink oil with silicone and Dubin. It seems you just have to reapply frequently, really. I put the gloves on, and apply and then just massage in while watching the news or monday night footbal.

While climbing, water gets into gloves more from the back and finger seams than the palm. Use seam seal. Rapping wet/icy ropes forces water into the palm of your gloves. I try not to use the same gloves for climbing and rapping.

Use all your gloves you bought thinking they were going to be good for climbing for belaying and rappelling!

Edited by David_Parker

I've used the nikwax grease (sold for boots) to waterproof my gloves' palms. It adds a nice amount of tack but hasn't rubbed off on my gear. Probably need to do it once-twice a season.

Thinking about leaving the random 'bag o gloves' behind ya jens? smile.gif