Safe run-out analysis

johndavidjr

Pfft... "rangefinder" cams. If you don't carry these two essentials, you're practically free-soloing:

The Impulse Laser Rangefinder (with optional tilt sensor)

impulse1.gif

The Dyer 651 series electronic ID calipers

652a20.jpg

Designed to "Measure all types of internal grooves that are hard to reach":

gageani2.gif

Don't be sketchy! Mountaineers Approved !

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The take home message for me is what I've always known: the greatest danger is when you first leave the belay. The higher you climb and the more gear you place, the safer you will become. Build a SRENE anchor, get a piece in right away and place your gear close at first until you get some rope out.

The take home message for me is what I've always known: the greatest danger is when you first leave the belay. The higher you climb and the more gear you place, the safer you will become. Build a SRENE anchor, get a piece in right away and place your gear close at first until you get some rope out.

Free solo, then you don't have to worry about fall factor. wave.gif

The report leads to believe that falling on the belay anchor is safer than falling on the lead protection. The lead protection suffers from the "pulley" effect and has forces exerted on it greater than produced in the fall alone. So taking a fall factor of 1 or more on to the belay anchor generates less force on the anchor.

That is why I give the report no credibility.

chris

You have 50m of rope, you fall off at the anchor and fall 50m. 50/50=1 Basically no belay at all. So any "lead" fall would have a fall factor between 1 and 2, unless you climbed down and fell.

This would be stupid to do, but it allows for the lowest force on the gear. It would always use the full length of rope to absorb the fall and no "lead" protection (to suffer "pulley" and friction effects). This is why the report and a strictly analytical approach is not always best.

chris

I saw it happen once. A guy jugged a pitch and never tied in short. When he got to the anchors he must have taken his ascenders off and never tied into the anchor. Couple minutes later I hear a screem and see the guy flying down the pitch below. Thought he was going to crater but stopped right next to the anchors one pich below. At least he was tied into the end of the rope. That would be a fall factor 1 onto his anchors. Although it wasn't vertical (second or third pitch of the free blast) and he lost some skin slowing him down.

I saw it happen once. A guy jugged a pitch and never tied in short. When he got to the anchors he must have taken his ascenders off and never tied into the anchor. Couple minutes later I hear a screem and see the guy flying down the pitch below. Thought he was going to crater but stopped right next to the anchors one pich below. At least he was tied into the end of the rope. That would be a fall factor 1 onto his anchors. Although it wasn't vertical (second or third pitch of the free blast) and he lost some skin slowing him down.
Sounds like bungee jumping. Yikes. ooo.gif