hike ideas

gapertimmy

i'm going to be up in b-ham for a wedding [Mad][Mad][Mad]

i'm looking for a 1 night backpack trip that i can go on with wife and 2 mutts (please don't spray about how you hate dogs hiking)

i figure the dogs rule out anything in the NP, solitude would be kewl, but am not expecting due to the holiday.

shanks

TIMMAY

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

T-

Yellow Aster Butte - see route descrip in "75 Scrambles in Washington State," by Peggy Goldman. It's in the Mt Baker Natl Forest, not the NP. PM me if you want me to fax you the pages. Lots of little alpine lakes for the doggies, wildflowers are probably crazy in-bloom right now. Huckleberries and blueberries, too. Book says 2 hours from B'ham, more like 1.5 unles you stop 15 times on the way. Gain 2800' in 3 miles, summit the Butte at 6241', and camp below.

P.S. It's not a scramble, it's a day hike that's hard enough to keep some crowds away. Scramble up Tomyhoi Peak next morning for even better views.

I'll second the emotion for YAB, but you're best off going in the middle of the week unless you like a whole lotta people in on your wilderness experience. I hear they've done bad things to the trail on par with what they did to the Lk Serene trail....used to be steep and fun, now maybe more PG rated. In any case, a really beauty-ful spot with lots of wandering from camp.

YAB is a great idea, but there will be LOTS of people. Hannegan is cool but sure to be crowds as well. Another place is Church Mt., it's really only a day hike (~2hrs to top) maybe not what you have in mind, but cool place to take the dogs and great views- big meadow for them to run around in... [smile] May not be as crowded. You could hit the North Fork on the way in/out..a MUST, the best IPA you will have! [big Drink]

Depending on the age and/or enthusiasm of your kids, I would recommend Hannegan Pass or Skyline Divide. Hannegan Pass is a pretty mellow 3 miles (about 1000 feet) with Ruth Mt. dominating the head of the valley. From camp, you can head up the pass to even better views. Skyline has more elevation gain but you have the advantage of being on Mt. Baker with a great view up the N. flank and across the valley to Shuksan (and nice ridge camping). Weekend rules apply to both.

The approach for the Price Glacier would actually not be a bad choice if solitude is high on your agenda. The walk in there is pretty decent for an unmaintained trail and it is not all that big of an elevation gain; Price Lake itself is surrounded by brush but it is in a pretty cool location with views of some of the coolest aline stuff in the state. But unless you climb up some vey steep and somewhat scary heather slopes to get to the top of the ridgelet beyond, there are no panoramic views and, speaking of views, there are absolutely no views of any kind until you get to the lake. So maybe it sucks. But you would probably find solitude there.