brushing

glassgowkiss

malcolm smith on "dreamtime": "That the holds are different [now and when Fred climbed it, V14 now V15 then] is not due to chipping but due to hundreds of attempts and brushings resulting in organic change over time" rolleyes.gif In other words brushing changes and mostly improves small holds. Microchipping or Nanochipping confused.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna go ahead and say Malcom is full of shit. On sandstone, or other soft rock, I could see the potential for brushing making a hold bigger (by sculpting the rock above/behind it).

Dreamtime is on granite. If anything, I would expect brushing to make the holds worse be removing texture and abrading the tiny edges into even tinier edges.

I've climbed plenty of boulder problems that required brushing to go at their given grade, but ONLY because a bunch of chalk happy beanie boys with a community chalk bucket the size of a daypack felt the need to immerse their entire hands into the chalk before every attempt and then do the eura-wanker chalk blow...never mind that is was 45 degrees out and zero chance that their hands were sweaty. Maybe I'm wrong and they were sweaty, after all they didn't have their shirts on hahaha.gifthe_finger.gif

Nah, your relative K ranges are a bit off -

A sandstone is typically in the range of 10^-4 to 10^-8 cm/sec, while an unfractured igneous rock is in the range to 10^-8 to 10^-12. However, for a fractured igneous rock is considerably more permeable (10^-2 to 10^-6 cm/sec), obviously due to preferential flow through the cracks and voids (Freeze & Cherry, 1979). A lot of your permeability assumptions will bepend on your definintion of thyour Representative Elementary Volume that you are using, e.g. a small volume, like Columbia Boulder or Big Joe, could be assumed somewhat homogenous and unfractured. However, if your REV is somewhat larger (Mt. Stuart, Supercrack Buttress), then you have to tak into account both mineralogical heterogenity and areal fracturing, which will increase your hydraulic conductivity values accordingly.

Meanwhile, back at the subject...

I was a popular sport crag this weekend, and a few of the well-used holds holds were mighty greasy. I noticed it more when they were operating as footholds. I don't have a ready measure of the greasiness, but being Canadian I would describe it as "feeling like several grams of back bacon grease had been applied to a toonie-sized hold". I've never seen anyone brush holds on the way down, but if I return I'd consider carrying a tiny scrub brush. Seems like a good idea, and with only a rack of draws, I had two completely empty gear loops to carry stuff!

It is obvious from the idiotic comments in this thread that the people who decry brushing have no basis for their distaste other than the fact that the brushing is being carried out by people who climb harder than they do. You are the same ass-clowns who think that people who climb hard are egotistical assholes, even though you've never talked to one. Insecure fuckstickholes. You need to come to terms with your feelings of inadequacy or keep your whiny yaps shut.

madgo_ron.gif

It is obvious from the idiotic comments in this thread that the people who decry brushing have no basis for their distaste other than the fact that the brushing is being carried out by people who climb harder than they do. You are the same ass-clowns who think that people who climb hard are egotistical assholes, even though you've never talked to one. Insecure fuckstickholes. You need to come to terms with your feelings of inadequacy or keep your whiny yaps shut.

madgo_ron.gif

hey. fuckface. The thread is here. Deal with it, or maybe try to say something meaningful...? smirk.gif Especially like the "even though you've never talked to one" part. Do they all sound like you?

oh yeah, you other punkasses too. It's not spray... yet...

Edited by ashw_justin