Mtn Bike: Methow River Trail to Rainy Pass

layton

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about the out and back ride along the W. Fork Methow (turnaround right at the PCT), it's not bad at all. Maybe 1500ft of gain. It mostly follows the river so the gain is gradual. The last half mile or so is pretty steep, it seemed like half the work of the ride was that last little section.

There is also a section early on that is this suck ass sidehilling on shale scree type shizz. About the time you've said "this really f&*%$ sucks" the scree ends and the rest of the ride is cool. Fun ride, seemed like about 15 miles total.

Time est. would be 1-3 hrs, we took about 3 with several safety breaks hahaha.gif and an extended lunch stop. It won't kick your ass. I'd call it a moderate/novice/interemediate type ride.

Are trails allowed on those trails (trust me, I dont give a shit one way or another...just curious) I've done my share of ranger-avoidance-biking but it would be neat to know some interesting places where you can pedal through the broad daylight smile.gif

Mike-

I hiked the trail earlier this year with some friends and saw a bunch of people on bikes. It goes through the burn from last year so it's a little looser and dustier that it was previously. Signage at the TH said the trail was still closed (as of Memorial Day) but we just hiked anyway.

It'll be a great ride. Not sure if the season is over or not, but we must have picked 10 lbs. of Morell mushrooms in the burns. cheeburga_ron.gif

wow, it's nice to know that the devastation wasn't total from the Needles fire...that's one of my favorite little rides to do when i'm over there. You can also ride up to the Crest trail on the Cutthroat lake trail...best done on a weekday to avoid annoying the hikers, so they don't ban we bikers.