Sanity

Stonehead

Today’s Seattle Times contained an article describing the use of the Patriot Act in busting a marijuana smuggling operation ( Marijuana smuggling case first local use of Patriot Act provision). I vaguely recall a reference by the Bush administration equating illegal drug use to support of terrorists indirectly through financing of terrorist operations by drug proceeds. Yet this article quotes Assistant U.S. Attorney Todd Greenberg who states that there is no indication connecting the defendants to terrorism. All this served to remind me that the so-called ‘War on (some) Drugs’ is misguided.

Don’t assume by my moniker that I’m pro-drug. It’s actually a reference to rock climbing. I just believe that there should be more sanity with respect to drug policy. For example, look at how marijuana is categorized under the law as a Schedule I drug. Now, Mark Twain once wrote, "To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” Right. Shouldn’t we reexamine our drug policy with regard to cannabis? Shouldn’t the federal law be reformed to reflect the actual nature of marijuana and its societal effects in comparison to such legal drugs as alcohol? Shouldn’t federal law be reformed with regard to medicinal marijuana, a potential low cost alternative to high priced prescription medicines if the sufferer is allowed to grow his own? Others claim that the plant is a better alternative to prescription medication but are penalized for their choice ( Ricky Williams failed third drug test).

Think also of the money spent. Government is obsessed with the pursuit of illegal marijuana use. It’s like the ‘New Untouchables’. Recently, police stormed a contractor’s house and held him at gunpoint because they thought the man was growing marijuana, which actually turned out to be hibiscus plants ( Officials mistake the popular foliage for pot and storm home of contractor).

Maybe we should see the “light”. Hey, it’s not a liberal thing. It’s plain common sense ( The marijuana debate ).

Disclaimer: This is just an opinion and is not intended to promote irresponsible behavior or illegal activity.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic