Marmot Lithium vs Couloir Sleeping Bag. Which One?

Montaniero

Hi There,

I would like to start by telling you that I have regularly been checking the posts in CC and found them extremely useful. There seems to be a lot of experienced people around here and is for this reason that I would like to pose you with my current dilemma:

I am interested in buying a 0º F (-18º C) degree down sleeping bag for winter mountaineering and alpine climbing. I am looking for:

- The highest fill-quality (800+ or 900 fill power, if there is anything like 900-fill in the world!).

- Lightweight (important for alpine climbing)

- Great Design/Construction

I've already rounded my decision on either the Marmot Lithium or the Marmot Couloir DryLoft, both on sale at Backcountry Store. I already have a Marmot bag (CWM, -40º F) intended for expedition use and I only have great things to say about it. I have not tried any of these two 0º F bags and would not be able to do so as I am not in the US, but design is same as CWM and that fits me perfectly (5'10", 160 lbs.). Design and construction wise, these two bags are very similar. They mostly differ in the materials used.

This is my pros & cons analysis so far:

MARMOT LITHIUM

Insulation: 900 Fill Goose Down

Fill Weight: 27oz / 767g

Shell: Pertex Quantum N-090 Ripstop

Lining: Pertex Quantum N-090 Taffeta

Total Weight: 2lb 8 ozs / 1133 g

Half Zip

PROS:

- Lighter by 1 lbs. (important for alpine).

- Higher 900 Fill-power (is this for real?!?).

MARMOT COULOIR DRYLOFT

Insulation: 800 Fill Goose Down

Fill Weight: 30oz / 852g

Shell: TwiLight DryLoft® N-143R DWR finish

Lining: Gossamer Micro N-130R WR finish

Total Weight: 3lb 8 ozs / 1590 g

Full Zip

PROS:

- More water-resistant (DryLoft instead of Quantum, important for alpine).

- Full Zip instead of Half (I guess is not really an issue in the cold temperatures this bag is intended for, specially using a pee bottle).

Which one would you choose? I would appreciate the input of any people knowledgeable with these two bags. At the end of the day and supposing both bags are equally warm, it's a matter of the lower weight of the Lithium vs. the more water-repellancy of the Couloir, right? Many thanks.

P.S.: Although the differential on the fill weights (27 vs. 30 oz.) tricks me in terms of both being equally warm. I guess it correlates with the fact that with the higher 900-fill you can have the same temperature rating with 3 oz. less down. Can this be correct?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking for a similar bag. The two in my consideration are the Helium, and the North Face Momentum. The Momentum has essentialy the same specs as the Helium. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about either bag?

For winter use and multi day trips, go with the dryloft.

I have a Marmot Aquille Dryloft -5 that i love, but it, much like the Coulior, is a little on the heavy side. frown.gif However, for longer trips ad winter, it rocks. rockband.gif The Dryloft is effective at keeping the down pretty dry (on most trips). cool.gif I have never gotten it soaked, or really not much more than damp. bigdrink.gif

The lightweight bags are usually lighter due to a few things, one of them being the lightweight fabic of the shell. Fine for 20-40 degree bags, where you are basically using it as a summer bag, where you won't die if you get wet. The lightweight fabric, even with fancy DWRs, is NO WHERE NEAR as waterproof as Dryloft. frown.gif

I would take a serious look at the REI -5 Downtime with Elements. Impressive bag at that price. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck.

Edited by Rodchester

• 2 weeks later...

Presently & personally, I'm likely to take non-waterproof sleeping bag biv sack (1 pound). The appalling condition of my pal's 30-yr-old Frostline sack is one reason. I also tend to floorless tents, or a condensation-prone, 1person singlewall. Hence, personally, want lightest-weight shell material available.

________

Of the two bags you are interested in, it seems to me that the Lithium is clearly the better bag. A 1lb difference! Seems obvious to me.

I would also check out Feathered Friends bags and Western Mountaineering bags. While I think Marmot has the best bags of the major companies, I think FF and WM and some of the other smaller companies (Nunatak) make better stuff.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.