Best soap for poison ivy on rope?

pindude

Out at Banks Lake today, and prepping to rap down the west side of Highway Rock, I threw my fairly new 10.2 x 60 extra-dry Beal down onto a ledge with poison ivy--unseen from above. Quite the surprise when the first climber rapped to it.

I did some searching and best method to clean it I understand means using a mild detergent. I'll wash it by hand in a tub/sink, then rinse using my old SMC rope washer. I'm concerned about getting the PI oils off and at the same minimizing any changes to the rope including taking off any dry coating or changing the hand.

My questions:

1. What is the best soap to use? (Woolite?)

2. Anyone have any specific experiences/successes/failures?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting stormed off at Washington Pass 5 or 6 years ago, we went to Fun Rock. I walked to the crag in sandals right through a poison ivy patch. I put on my rock shoes and climbed the rest of the day.

I broke out in a horrible rash that night and thereafter every time I wore the shoes. I tried washing the shoes but I eventually had to throw them out. Maybe the rope will be easier to clean?

you dope

ya got ivy on your rope

now you hope

for magic soap

well nope, there is no sope

but don't mope

even the Pope

can't get ivy out of rope

once it's on - its a slippery slope

how will you cope?

try a psychotrope mushsmile.gif

My questions:

1. What is the best soap to use? (Woolite?)

2. Anyone have any specific experiences/successes/failures?

reglar fukin tide. none of that 'mountain fresh' sutff. use a machine. use it twice. then use itt a third time wihtout any soap.

• 3 weeks later...

Missed all these replies until now. Good advice all, especially Dru's. laugh.gif

I used Woolite, by hand, as I wanted to wash the new rope in just the end that touched the poison ivy: about 15 meters worth. I did rinse the shit out of the rope, and hope that all the soap is out. The washing must have worked, cause my main climbing partner is ultra-sensitive to PI, and hasn't complained yet. Next time I'm caught in the rain--which should be soon, with my history--we'll see how well I rinsed that soap out.

Thanks guys. mushsmile.gif

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but thought I'd share. We (my wife Teri, and I) hiked out to Golf Course Wall at Banks Lake on Saturday and laid out all the gear to head up that 5.7 arete route. Flaked the rope, sat down to put on shoes, blah, blah, blah. Then we saw the rich green bed of poison ivy we were wollowing in. OMG! Rushed into Grande Coulee and picked up a tube of special soap just for poison ivy for $31 and washed like maniacs - several times. Took all the gear down to Steamboat Rock and rinsed/wiped it off several times. Washed the rope once we got home. So far (48 hours later) no rash. Pray for us! By the way Steve, do you still climb smile.gif

I know this is an old post but thought I'd share. We (my wife Teri, and I) hiked out to Golf Course Wall at Banks Lake on Saturday and laid out all the gear to head up that 5.7 arete route. Flaked the rope, sat down to put on shoes, blah, blah, blah. Then we saw the rich green bed of poison ivy we were wollowing in. OMG! Rushed into Grande Coulee and picked up a tube of special soap just for poison ivy for $31 and washed like maniacs - several times. Took all the gear down to Steamboat Rock and rinsed/wiped it off several times. Washed the rope once we got home. So far (48 hours later) no rash. Pray for us! By the way Steve, do you still climb smile.gif
Nice job. You were right to rush. The faster you get that oil off you the better.