TR: Spelunking!

snugtop

Thunderclouds pushed us underground this Saturday...headed up to Cave Ridge near Alpental. After one false start on the trail, Ken 4ord, Loose Brei and myself headed up the climbers trail. We scrambled up for about 45 minutes, making sure to stop, some of us for the stunning Mount Rainier view, other for a quick Virginia Slim (menthol).

We found the first cave ("Hellhole") with relative ease, and headed down a VERY tight squeeze, and into a 30-40 foot chimney. The chimney is a bit claustrophobic but widened at the bottom. One caver--ok me!--asked for a belay here. Being in vertical chimney with water dripping from the snow above, the limestone was quite clean and took on a marbly texture and grey-white color. Gloves would have been good here; the wet rock was quite cold.

Next to the chimny room, a larger room with a low ceiling led to a ledge, blocked by a few large rocks, over another 30ft drop, some it free hanging. Ken, our expert spenlunker, set up an anchor with a cam and a chockstone. It's probably woth noting at some point that the caves in this area are all technical (not walk in) and to bring appropriate gear--in this case, rope, ascenders, aiders, a belay device and a small rack. (Or so I'm told!)

We rapped another 30 feet over down to the main chamber in the cave, a wider room with passages leading in several directions. We scrambled down to the lowest point we could reach, and a followed slimy dirt ramp up as far we could go but alas, it dead ended. going back to the main room, Ken and Loose Brei found some potential passages, one squeeze looked like it might continue, but having one too many beers at the last pub club, I feared I might get stuck. And, I should note, it's easy to get cold in there--it's very wet and your clothing is constantly getting brushed against the rock. Caves have one thing in common with spray--no matter what you go in with, you're going to come out slashed and soiled. boxing_smiley.gif

I received a 2-minute introduction to jumars are etriers, and managed to haul my dirty ass up the line. Ken and Loose Brei moved a little faster and pretty soon we were climbing up the first squeeze, then blinking madly in the bright snowy sunlight.

Ken found another cave that looked more promising, with fixed lines and a bit drier. Perhaps for another day.

1,500 feet and three 'Slims later, we emerged at the trailhead caked in mud and a bit scratched up.

Returning to our meeting point at Tully's, Ken declared that I looked like a homeless junkie who lived under a bridge. Luckily, they still served me a latte. snugtop.gif

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you venture into the caves, please respect them. They are typically home to some pretty unique and fragile biological communities. So....take a pee bottle (and USE it), blue bag it, and treat the caves like the wild and delicate environments they are.

If we don't respect the caves we could very easily see padlocked steel gates on them like many other places around the country.

If you venture into the caves, please respect them. They are typically home to some pretty unique and fragile biological communities. So....take a pee bottle (and USE it), blue bag it, and treat the caves like the wild and delicate environments they are.

If we don't respect the caves we could very easily see padlocked steel gates on them like many other places around the country.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Hey Snugtop, from the descriptions that I have read, I think that second cave that I started down was Hellhole, I don't know the name of it. Hellhole opens up in the ceiling of a chamber to a free hanging rap. The rap we did wasn't really free hanging.

Kudos Thinker, caves have a very fragile eco-system, it is important that we disturb the area as little as possible when going under ground.

Dru, yeah I don't know if I agree with you, you damn troller. I have found caving at times to be more strenuous than climbing and there are some caves that have 1000's of feet of vertical relief. There was on I was in Mexico, that most likely hadn't been expored. I was like 200 feet down this chimney to a floor, which looked solid. I step onto the dirt and it collapsed under my feet. Luckily the cave was still quite narrow and I was able to get into a stem. The caves that we went into this weekend only go down something like ~250 feet.

Snugtop, Virginia Slim menthol??? What?