argentina

minx

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Travelled around there and Chile for a few months. It's rather expensive for a SA country. Back in the 80's(?) they decided to have their currency float with the American dollar (1 peso = $1) and from my understanding it didn't work so well for the lower economic folk. You can use US currency in most larger towns.

There is a large population from European ancestry, particularly Italian, and it has influenced their culture. Lots of good Italian food to be found. Also lots of beef - hard if your the veggie type. The adjacent SA countries consider the Argentines snobbish, that they consider themselves better than the rif-raf of Chile for example, more cultured and of course emensely more beautiful. They're known as the "Swiss of SA".

I noticed a distinct difference between Chile and Argentina and found the Chilians much warmer and friendlier. That said - I had no bad experiences in Argentina, but the largest town I was in was Baralochie. Another friend recently came back from a year in Argentina and had wonderful stories. Some pockets of ex-Nazi types in the country, was a popular refuge after WWII.