Blue Water "Ice Floss" ropes

Rodchester

Does anyone have any ACTUAL experience with the Blue Water Ice floss ropes, especially using the 37 meter as a light weight glacier moutaineering rope.

I have been comparing it with Maxim 35 meter 8.5 rope. The Maxim appears to have a tougher sheath, although it does weigh a pound (or so) more than the ice floss.

Thanks....

------------------

Have a nice day.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have used the Ice Floss tons of times on the lower angle climbs on snow and glaciers. I am sold on them, mainly on weight. I've pulled a person out of a crevasse safely (remember climbers to check to make sure the rope isn't wrapped around the guys neck-they don't show that on the drawings in the instructional books). They seem to wear faster then my other ropes, but keep dry while dragging across a glacier for eight hours. They can be a little like a rubberband when tight. Another thing is that they kink up easier then the larger diameter ropes(not a big problem). I have no experience with your rope, but the main savings is the weight. I find it real beneficial on a long day climb (like Rainier or Baker in a day or others like Eldorado). 3 on a team fit just fine with room on the ends, but four gets a little tight. Rappelling can be a little scary, unless you double up, but a fall is not a problem (count them and retire them)

The price is good too.

i have one and only use it occasionally. the small diameter has led to problems prussiking up it, though the tibloc works on it i think that it might damage the sheath on it. the short length and small diameter really makes it only sutible for glacier travel. i have heard of someone leading on doubled ice floss, kinda skecthy if you ask me. i originally thought that i might use it for x-treme scrambling and the what not for short raps, but after messing around with it decided that i would use a different rope. good glacier travel-bad everything else.

have fun

I've had a 37m Ice Floss rope for a couple years now and use it all the time on glacier climbs, I don't like to use it for routes much steeper than Rainier's Fuhrer Finger, but for roping up on glaciers and trips with long approaches its a great rope. Ditto on the waterproofing, never noticed that it soaked up water after a day of being dragged on a glacier.