Booker Mountain?

D-dog

Anyone have beta on this objective? Rumor has it there is a 3000+ foot face, maybe jumpable, but I can't even find it in Becky unless I'm just too stupid to use the index properly.

Heaps 'o thanks in advance.

Peace,

D-d0g

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took this shot of N. Face of Booker from the top of Goode last weekend. Can't tell how vertical it is but 3,000 might be be about right if you land in the basin.

47b2d804b3127cce9edcd7c742460000000410

Pretty remote location and fairly chossy from what I could tell. The Mt. next over is back side of Buckner. Forbidden is dark triangle on far right in the distance. Your approach is either over Cascade Pass and climb south side or up Park Creek basin from Stehekin and find route up east ridge or something. I've only looked at it from Buckner and Goode, but never been on it.

[ 06-27-2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

Here is a list (as determined by one Stephen Fry) regarding the steepest faces in Washington (for 1/10th-mile horizontal distance):

1. Mt. Index, West Face [2,150-foot drop]

2. Baring Mtn, NNE Face [2,000-foot drop]

3. Mt. Index, ENE Face [2,000-foot drop]

11. Booker Mtn, NE Face [1,660-foot drop]

In terms of 1-mile horizontal distance:

1. Davis Peak (N. Casc.), NE Face [5,381-foot drop]

2. Whitehorse Mtn., NNE Face [5,185-foot drop]

3. Johannesburg Mtn., N Face [5,160-foot drop]

19. Booker Mtn., NE Face [4,660-foot drop]

The height of the face is sort of dependent on the horizontal measuring endpoints. Still, though, Booker has quite a wall on its NE side as David's picture shows.

Davis Peak listed above has one of the most impressive walls that I can remember. It's located in the N. Cascades north of the Diablo Dam. While the peak can be seen from the highway, the NE Face cannot. You have to climb Stetattle Ridge to see that.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

Sounds like if you switched from BASE jumping to parapenting, the whole Cascade range would open up for you!

Ya but parapenting is not as EXXXXXXXTREME!!!
[Roll Eyes]
. . . and it's all about being EXTREME, dude! Remember, it ain't worth doing if there ain't a camera there to record the coolness [Roll Eyes]

Peace,

D-d0g

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

Pretty remote location and fairly chossy from what I could tell.

Its not that remote if you're willing to boat it up Lk Chelan and take the shuttle, just a few miles up the park creek pass trail from the road. You're right about the choss though, I seem to recall a patch of dinner plates stacked on edge that inspired us to reconsider our objectives. The angle assessment seems accurate too, not BASE worthy.

D-dog,

Look here in David Parker's Goode photo album:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b301e9a7c4d5

The picture he posted above is #51 of 87 in the album. There is a better picture for ascertaining the verticality of the wall (#62). This picture more definitively shows that it's not vertical.

We wouldn't want to have to rename the face "D-dog's Folly".

[ 06-27-2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: klenke ]

The picture labeled "P1010066.jpg" is the one of Booker I was talking about. Or at least Booker is in the middle-background of that photo (with Mt. Buckner in the right-background). This is photo #62 of 87 when stepping through the album (at least when I step through it).

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:

D-dog,

Look here in David Parker's Goode photo album:

The picture he posted above is #51 of 87 in the album. There is a better picture for ascertaining the verticality of the wall (#62). This picture more definitively shows that it's not vertical.

We wouldn't want to have to rename the face "D-dog's Folly".

Thanks for all of your advice, gang. This one really doesn't seem like a prime BASE objective. Yeah, paragliding would be one option to get off all these "sorta almost vertical" faces, but man don't you know? That paragliding crap is dangerous!

Sheesh, I'll stick to BASE - much safer.

Peace,

D-d0g

When I climbed Mt. Baker a couple of years back via the Easton Glacier, there was a group of paragliders trudging up the mountain with their 80-100lb paraglider packs on their backs. They were definitely going slow, but later we saw them high above gliding off of the summit to places unknown...over the hills and far away.