cascade looping

In followup to mr peru and my index adventure we decided to move the party to WAPASS....

on Friday after another 10+hrs standing in a muddy hole I picked up BP in EastLake and we hightailed it for Ltown. We arrived around 10pm after a short break in Goldbar...

Sat morning, I wished my mother a happy mothers day and then BP and I Steered the sube to the north with the pedal to the metal... we made a quick pitstop at the Cinnamon Twisp for coffee, pastries and lunch goods and then continued pushing my ole car to the max....

Fortunately when we arrived at the hairpin the skies were partly cloudy (somewhat of a highceiling) and the track up to South spire was well established (thanks all thumbs_up.gif)...

having climbed with BP a few times I knew of his hiking ability and energy...however, I did not know of how much that increased when the East Butt Slut intends to climb his favorite route.......

By the time I arrived at the base of the climb ~1hr after leaving the sube, mr peru was foaming at the mouth ready to send with the rope uncoiled & tied into his harness and the rack around his shoulders....after a brief discussion of our intentions--simu-climb to the first bolt ladder via flake variation, then lead two bolt ladders...then one more stretcher to the top for lunch...(hopefully we beat the impending snowstorm)...mr peru launched upward. By the time I got my shoes on and all my gear in order the rope came tight and I proceeded upwards as well. At this time, BP placed the first piece of pro and exclaimed with an echoing wOOt WooT. He then continued up the flakes, which by the way is a very cool and nice-exposed variation to the regular East Butt Direct route....

When I arrived at the base of the first bolt ladder, I found the ever-smiling bobbyperu giving me the old-fashioned hipbelay cool.gif

since, i had already climbed the eastbutt direct years ago, the plan was for me to lead the first boltladder and bp the second...after a quick glance at the sky, check of the watch and chat with BP...I decided to enjoy the tr session and follow the EBS to the top...1.75 hrs, three snow fluries later we both stood on top of the South Early Winter Spire! fruit.gif

after cheeburga_ron.gifbigdrink.gifhahaha.gifyellaf.gifhahaha.gif we downclimbed the south arete and then proceeded to glissade on our moon.gif

to the hairpin...so cool! car2car=5hrs

more bigdrink.gifhahaha.gifyellaf.gifand then back in the sube, destination Bellingham and mothers day with the peru family.

Sunday fun with BP's mother, brother and girlfriend....drive up to mt baker, marionberry pie with icecream, pizza and beer....and a few yellaf.gifhahaha.gif

then time to head south...

at about 730pm we pulled into the mt Erie Pking area and headed up to Snag Buttress to climb the cool crack with walk the plank tree... rockband.gif very cool sunset and sweet crack climbing...... fruit.gif short session on top and then simu rap to the ground...run back down the trail in the dark...headlamp just in case.....car2car= 1.25hrs...

back in seattle around 1130pm 630miles and a couple sweet routes.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yelrotflmao.gif supa-fun!!!! oh yeah for all interested the eastbutt is in really good shape...dry as can be, great snow all the way from the hairpin to the base of the route, and as ben described perfect afternoon snow for the glissade down to the car. our original intention was to do a bit of enchainin' of spires that day, but freezing temps, sno flurries, and the satifaction with doing the best positioned route at the pass (IMO) had us on our way to b-ham... we had a hard time resisting the temptation to "borrow" the at gear sitting at the base of the s. arete, belonging to the fellow tied in and belaying his leader as he sewed up the first "pitch" on the arete... fuckin karma, woulda' been a blast tho to rip down spire gulley, all in all tho the glissading was ill, and we were giggling the entire way down fruit.gif good times!

oh and ifin yer eva up 542 east stop at the alpenglow farms for pie for sure... the marion/ rasberry, or tayberry pies will give you a stomach orgasm, and then of course on youre way back west a stop at the northfork brewery is pretty much mandatory, the ipa will rock your dome!!!! and the pizza pretty damn good too bigdrink.gif

oh yeah the snag butt is hard to beat for sunset action! lovely!!!! eerie pretty cool sometimes, espesially when yer heading up after everyones already finished for the day thumbs_up.gif

great weekend ben!!!! thanx bro bigdrink.gifhahaha.gifthumbs_up.gif

345011-eastbutt.thumb.jpg.5eb42e5a3bb77d6f496523d2c2c35e3d.jpg

way to go guys thumbs_up.gif sounds like a looong day!

since the e but slut hisself is here now, how bout some beta for a mere mortal like myself. what's the best strategy for this thing? If I don't intend to free the bolt ladders (don't think I can make the moves) do I need aiders? or are the bolts close enough that french free will work?

once the snow melts how long is the walk from the base of the s.arete to the base of the route? - don't want to carry shoes and packs up the climb if i dont' have to. tanks wave.gif

Was up doing the South Arete on Saturday afternoon when these two guys climbed down as my buddy was leading off on the first “pitch”. I chatted a bit with them and one of them kept saying “East Butt Slut, East Butt Slut”. I thought to myself, I’ve heard or read that before, I know who this guy is. I said nothing though. If these guys were truly going to snag my gear I would bust em here for sure. So if the Karma wasn’t going to get ya, I would... boxing_smiley.gif Good move leaving the gear where it lay.

I can assure you the ski down was better than the glissade. Nice wind blow ‘powder’ for the first 500 feet or so, slowly turning into heavy mush down lower. We skied down the Blue Lake side.

PS – Yes we stitched up the first 2 “pitches” like a seasoned seamstress but everyone has to start somewhere; thanks for noticing.

Was up doing the South Arete on Saturday afternoon when these two guys climbed down as my buddy was leading off on the first “pitch”. I chatted a bit with them and one of them kept saying “East Butt Slut, East Butt Slut”. I thought to myself, I’ve heard or read that before, I know who this guy is. I said nothing though. If these guys were truly going to snag my gear I would bust em here for sure. So if the Karma wasn’t going to get ya, I would... boxing_smiley.gif Good move leaving the gear where it lay.

I can assure you the ski down was better than the glissade. Nice wind blow ‘powder’ for the first 500 feet or so, slowly turning into heavy mush down lower. We skied down the Blue Lake side.

PS – Yes we stitched up the first 2 “pitches” like a seasoned seamstress but everyone has to start somewhere; thanks for noticing.

fuck! now i feel like an idiot for at least not pretending to steal your shit, just to see what you would do yelrotflmao.gif

boxing_smiley.gif? well youre a big dood, but i aint scurred! see ya on another descent route someday wave.gif have fun out there yelrotflmao.gif

way to go guys thumbs_up.gif sounds like a looong day!

since the e but slut hisself is here now, how bout some beta for a mere mortal like myself. what's the best strategy for this thing? If I don't intend to free the bolt ladders (don't think I can make the moves) do I need aiders? or are the bolts close enough that french free will work?

once the snow melts how long is the walk from the base of the s.arete to the base of the route? - don't want to carry shoes and packs up the climb if i dont' have to. tanks wave.gif

now i see what you wanna do, you want o walk in rock shoes from the base of the s. arete to the base of the e. butt..? well i've never done or considered that... because the terrain around the base of the se face is pretty varried and has a bit of looseness, but its not all that bad, head along the base of the wall until it drops off above the small crag thats in front of the face, downclimb past the start of passanger route, then along the face still passing the start of that bolted line, past inferno route, and keep heading towards the toe of the butt. ive gone the reverse before and it didn't take too long. specialed and lunger i belive approached this way as i saw their tracks, but then again this was with sno...so.... and they were skiing down after sending the butt..! rad!!!!

Uh, I think the jokes on you there, Dustin. I believe he meant that you were making a "climbing route" of the South Ditch and he uses it as a descent hike. You'll catch up, captain. yellaf.gif

bigdrink.gif

Yeah, I knew what he meant. That was my snappy come back, get it? rolleyes.gif I had no defense to his slam implying we're gapers (which we are) so I made a joke about the fact that they had to glissade down. I even said when he climbed down to the base "you guys are solo down climbing harder than we're leading...." Geek_em8.gif Its funny like a joke, you know what those are right? wave.gif

No read my joke again, funny no?

Edited by Dustin_B