URGENT , DOSEWALLIPS RD APPEALED

sailBOI

Well , they said all along that they would appeal ANY plan to repair the Dosewallips River Rd . Two organizations have today filed an appeal to STOP the Forest Service's well thought out plan for restoring Public Access to ONP , and the campgrounds and trail heads there .

If this road is not repaired it severly curtails planning extended hikes into the Olympics .

You have 15 days , until 22 May , for your letter of support for the repair to be received by NFS at Portland .

cool.gif

All details are in my previous postings here :

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4895

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/332624/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Please tell all your friends and relatives , to tell all their friends and relatives .....this is a facility that all ages had enjoyed for 70 + years/

Public support is now critical........

see:

http://brinnonprosperity.org/dose_action.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody explain why "they" seek to block the reconstruction of the road? Is there any issue other than the basic idea that roads are a bad thing - I mean is somebody arguing that there is rare elk habitat or something in the Dosewallips?

i think there's interest in returning the Olympic NP into a very natural state, reducing inroads would assist in this effort...

The Dose has been out for several years now, it really will suck if the park service decides to keep it closed off.

Yes, I'm sure there is "interest in returning the Olympic National Park to its natural state," but in my view that is currently the case without further loss of roadway access. Yes, you can drive into the Hoh Rainforest or up to Hurricane Ridge or out to Rialto Beach in your Winnebago, but over 90% of the park is roadless area right now. I think it is very cool that way -- even were the Dosewallips road restored it'd still be a good example of a park where there are quite ample recreational opportunities and your grandmother can go there and actually see what lies within the park while at the same time it contains a vast wilderness.

Beyond "lets make it natural," are there specific concerns that lead people to want to abandon that Dosewallips road? I'm with my man Fairweather on this one -- it seems that there are some people who just don't want anybody to be able to get into the woods at all. I'd write a scathing letter to my public representatives, but before I start calling folks names I'd like to hear if they have some specific concerns that I should consider.

Matt. I don't know the concerns of the special interest groups that want the road closed permanently. I speculate the NPS itself doesn't want to reopen the road.

I'm with Fairweather on this one also..

Actually Beck , the NPS do very much want the road repaired. The way it is now , several million $ of facilities are difficult or impossible to maintain and may have to be dismantled .

These facilities include the Ranger Station , with hydo-electric so that they can have emergency radio contact to assist hikers like you and me. This facility has saved lives over the years !

All of the info is on our web site , including this guideline on the issue :

http://brinnonprosperity.org/dose_repair_compare.html

Also, folks in Brinnon are leading an effort to restore the trail on the south side of the Dosewallips that fell into disuse when the road was completed over 70 years ago. This trail will provide an alternative way into the ONP from the 10 mile Bridge , for folks that abhor vehicles.

It will also provide several new day hike , including an old trail to Wildcat Lake, perfact for weekenders !

http://brinnonprosperity.org/focusitem_dosetrail.html

We need all the help we can get.......so please tell all your friends to consider writing :-) rockband.gif

Wow, fairweather and I agree. shocked.gif

Of course he couldn't help but throw in the comment about those damn liberal pinko environmentalist commies! tongue.gif

If the road can be routed so that it does very little to impact watersheds, etc. Fixing one 5 mile stretch of road is hardly going to be destroying the wilderness. As it is we easily have the top 2 national parks in the country and the rest of the country doesn't even really know about them since they contain so little in the way of roads. It could be a lot worse...it could be yellowstone. pitty.gif

Opposition to Dosewallips road construction is said to be coming from the following groups:

Olympic Parks Association, The Wilderness Society, National Parks Conservation Association, The Mountaineers, Northwest Ecosystem Alliance, Wilderness Watch, Olympic Forest Coalition, and Public Employees for Environmental Ethics.

Source of information:

"Conservationists Challenge Decison to Rebuild Dosewallips Road Through Ancient Forest"

Another point you might bring up in a letter to support road reconstruction... I work at as a occupational therapist at a trauma hosiptal and am in contact with a lot of people with disabilities every day. There are a lot of people out there who use wheelchairs and have other mobility impairments. Many of them love the outdoors with just as much passion as we do. While most people on this site probably abhor the thought of car camping, a drive in campsite provides the mobility impaired with wonderful opportunitites to get into the woods.

Right now, theere are two great campgrounds that are cut off to cars unless the road is completed. Plus the road provides some views of some great rapids. There are not many places where you can see rapids like "the maze" on the Dose from a car. Not rebuilding the road denies this access to people who can't use a trail.

I'll try to articulate this more eloquently in my letter...

The rerouting of the road around the washout is in an area about .8 miles in length and requires clearing several acres of late succession forest. The NFS have kept the plan flexable enough to steer around the nicest trees. The Buckhorn wilderness starts at the 1000ft contour , well above the subject area.

The opponents of this road are attempting to get a land use change , closing the gap between the two wilderness areas . This gap was left there by CONGRESS to enable vehicular access to ONP! The objectors do not believe in Democracy , and want to overide Congress and the American people thru clever distortions of fact and misuse of the NW Forest Plan......I understand they have a clever lawyer who is adept at defeating usage of PUBLIC LANDS.

They never mention that although a few acres are involved in the repair, there are 1.5 million acres in the ONP + ONF which are for the most part protected.

There are a number of items of interest here :

http://brinnonprosperity.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

rolleyes.gif

Edited by sailBOI

Opposition to Dosewallips road construction is said to be coming from the following groups:

Olympic Parks Association, The Wilderness Society, National Parks Conservation Association, The Mountaineers, Northwest Ecosystem Alliance, Wilderness Watch, Olympic Forest Coalition, and Public Employees for Environmental Ethics.

The Mountaineers do not oppose the reconstruction of the road. However, the club takes the position that an full Environmental Impact Study be completed prior to making a final decision. In addition to the 4 acres of late successional forest, at risk is an unnamed tributary channel that is occupied Coho salmon rearing habitat.

The Mountaineers do not oppose the reconstruction of the road. However, the club takes the position that an full Environmental Impact Study be completed prior to making a final decision. In addition to the 4 acres of late successional forest, at risk is an unnamed tributary channel that is occupied Coho salmon rearing habitat.

The stream is bypassed by the revised repair plan, and the NFS have stated that they have enough room to work with and will by pass the largest trees. An EIS would double the cost and add anoth year to this project. Read Dr Tom O'Keefe's ( UW Fisheries Dept ) assessmant here :

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/archive/article/488/

wave.gif

Hi,

for those of you who want to write your letter to the Appeal

Reviewing Officer in support of the rebuilding of the Dosewallips River Road, a letter in opposition to the two negative appeals to the Forest Service decision, but you don't have a lot of time:

Go to http://brinnonprosperity.org/support_letter.html

It takes only a few moments. And it creates your personalized letter. And then it sends it off. You get a copy.

SPREAD THIS LINK AROUND TO EVERYONE. Each member of your family should fill this out. Your friends, neighbors, your co-workers. Everyone in your network... encourage them to sign this, today.

THE DEADLINE is May 25, 2004.

No time to waste.

-=-=-=-=-=- ropes -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I Do hope they build the road again---Gawd I hate hiking- Also, the unemployment rate in Brinnon is, well, there just ain't no opportunities & it's really a terrible problem for the nation 'less you're in real estate.

John,

I suspect your post is facetious, so I will propose that it is you that is the elitist. I'm sure you have lots of extra time to spend weeks upon weeks in the mountains, but many of us who work for a living don't. Additionally, I don't consider walking down an abandoned road for a full day "hiking" per se.

I too support the eastern Olympic wilderness areas that were set aside in the 70's and 80's....which is why I would like to see access maintained for all. Not just a few elitists who talk much and work very little - and would have our wilderness areas become their private country club by excluding as many people as they can vis a vis the decommissioning of roads.

My response would veer still further afield from ACCESS subject matter, & so I'll henceforth confine self to SPRAY on this.

-----------------------------------------

Most of the folks I have met hikings the Dosewallips area over 21 years are very nice people. I am sure, however, that there are exceptions.

Brinnon residents are willing to put up with the occasional bad egg, however, and are strongly supporting the continued access for hikers, climbers and whiterwater buffs.

Users should recognize that Jefferson County taxpayers are providing the first 7 miles of the Dosewallips Rd. , and be considerate of residents there. wave.gif

This is the last day to comment:

http://brinnonprosperity.org/focusitem_dose.html

http://brinnonprosperity.org/support_letter.html

rockband.gif