ptarmigan traverse?

Sol

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year around the beginning of July the traverse was mostly snow, at least from the top of Cascade Pass to Ying Yang Lakes. I'm not a skier, but I bet you could use skies on 50-60% of the traverse in mid June depending on the snowpack. My only thought would be coverage on the way out through Bachlor Creek. My guess snow shoes might be better. Who knows though, go check it out and have fun. fruit.gif

You'd be smart not to put the skis on your back, but to sling them from the side of your pack, horizontally, with the tails trailing behind you and the tips, together, pointing in front of you.

If you set it up right, with the center of balance behind you so it tips up when you let go, and if you have the skis lashed firmly together as one unit that hangs there just below elbow level, you can head through the worst brush the Cascades have to offer with little problem.

This is the "Kodiak carry." It works. Come to Mazama this weekend and you can meet the guy who showed it to me.

I did the traverse last year in June with skis. I would say if you are going to do it that early in the year do it with skis. It'll still be mostly snow. I think in August or September would be better on foot since all the flowers should be exposed by then.

It's true, coming out through bachelor creek with skis does suck ass, but a few miles of crappy brush is well worth all that skiing.