Beta Mid vs. Hex lite

SublimeSalamander

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used a Chouinard pyramid(pre-BD mega) and a sil clone of one for about twenty years in snow. They are light and pretty versatile. There are trade offs. I have seen the Hex and there is a review here(it is a pay site for complete review):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ss/Shelters/index.html

Mega photos:

http://ftp.backpackinglight.com/galleries/Beartooths04/imagepages/image32.html

I have been using the Betamid for a couple of years now and I really like it. I bought it rather than the larger pyramid style tents because I usually climb with just one partner.

The floor space is excellent for the weight. Wind stability has so far been better than expected. It weathered a moderate storm on Rainier very well, but I have mostly only used it in good weather.

Yeah, the beta mid is awesome. I actually now have a Beta-Light, the same design as betamid but made out of silicone fabric which is very strong and light. The whole thing weighs approximately nothing and could probably be stuffed into a Nalgene bottle if you drank a PBR while stuffing. I highly recommend it. It has weathered winds very well (as DanielPatrick said) and snow of a moderate amount.

Check it out!