Tick season in the Icicle

klenke

Heh, heh, we should warn NUSEL of these buggers. Haven't they been known to get into and ruin sensitive scientific equipment--especially equipment stored in tunnels?

Maybe ticks have a brood cycle like the 17-year Brood V cycle for the cicada and this is going to be a bad year. Any of you that haven't had the pleasure of a cicada, you haven't lived....in the eastern states.

Geez, I find I'm scratching myself just typing about ticks! shocked.gif

I wonder if snaf.gif get ticks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we would be safe bivying next to the car at the snowline on Mountaineer Creek road last wknd... I slept in the middle of the road, far from the grass, but we found one in the car later, crawling up the wire for CD-adapter for the tape player. Must have hitched a ride on my sleeping bag or something, then hung out in the car for the day while we were out. eewwww!

haha, i was going to sleep on the ground but was reminded of ticks as i put my bag down so i spent a slightly less comfortable but tick free night in the car. Still pulled 2 out of my hair the next day when i was done climbing.

Ew, yuck! Spent half my energy yesterday worrying about ticks, but partner and I didn't pick up any free-loaders. There was a horrible, shrieking moment on I-90 when I was sure there was a tick in my hair. shocked.gif A hasty pull-off yielded no ticks. Sounds like the beasts feasted all weekend though.

Crap, I'm all itchy now. What's that by my sock??!! ARgh!!

• 2 weeks later...

Your modified proverb is entertaining, cbs, but not entirely accurate in the sense that one of them buggers hopped on board my sleeve as I was moving. I was crashing through mild waist-high brush. They can fall off that brush and onto clothing (whether you're moving or not).

Once I came around a corner on the Snow Creek trail to notice that all the bushes and trees in one small area were literally dripping with them. I've always thought they hang ouit primarily in the bushes, ready to pounce.

However, on Saturday I was over at Tieton and after getting fried in the sun, I went and lay down in the shade for a few minutes. Not five minutes passed before I felt one crawling on me and it turned out I had picked up 15 of the little bastards!