BLS (Big Ledge Syndrome)

chucK

OK, so I just got done minorly flaming some guy in the cordelette-racking thread, and I got thinking about what exactly I could do to speed up my climbing. After about 2 seconds of contemplation I realized that I need a way to effeciently overcome bouts of Big Ledge Syndrome.

BLS occurs when you're at a nice restful, secure, piece-at-your-chest, hold or stance. Above is a more scary, committing, unknown, or just-plain-hard section. The major symptom of BLS is paralysis and time loss. Usually I'll get to the stopping point and then figure out what I need to do very quickly, but the relative comfort of the nice stance compared to the upcoming difficulties get hold of me. I'll hem and haw, trying to find some non-extistent easier, more secure, way. Eventually I commit to the moves I intially figured out, but in the meantime, many minutes have ticked away and my belayer is now soundly dozing and/or silently pissed.

You guys 'n' gals ever experience BLS? Anybody got any cures or tricks to beat it? I'm working on it. [Confused]

Later,

Chuck

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lead weed, or so i have heard

[laf][big Drink][big Grin][Wink][Cool][Razz]

i think another similaR dysfunction would be the S.A.E.A. (stop at every anchor) i find myself falling for this ailment on longer or scarrier routes.

complications might be more pitches and a disgruntled parter as they always seem to have to lead the crux right off of the belay!!

I was experiencing a bout of BLS right off the belay. Lambone just said to me, "Just think how much better your life will be after you commit to that move." You know what, he was right. Those are the moments in climbing that require the most focus and attention- which is a big part of what climbing is about, and what separates it from 'vertical hiking'.