Costa Rica TR

EWolfe

Flew into San Jose on the Friday the Thirteenth, delays and layovers costing us an additional 5-1/2 hours to a 7-1/2 hour flight.

We arrived at the Best Western I had made blind reservations at (thinking BW would be good anywhere. Wrong.) around 11:45 PM, totally frazzled and in a really sketchy part of San Jose. We had no beer.

I had spotted a bar about a block away, and convinced my travelling companion, Steve, to walk the 1 block gauntlet and get a 6-pack.

We were about 1/2 block into the venture when a dirty bedraggled woman approached us, saying" "Sex? Mota?"

I said no loudly and ignored her, but Steve had to take a closer look. She followed us to the bar, pleading to Steve the whole time. I proceeded to order us a six-pack, and as Steve sat on the barstool, the woman walked up to him and grabbed his package hellno3d.gif

He had to push her away to get her off him, then she just left. I paid and we went back and polished off most of the sixer, laughing about our welcome to Costa Rica. hahaha.gif

The next days was a harrowing 2-1/2 hour ride to the coast by public bus on mountain roads to Jaco,where we met a friend from Juneau. Then, getting the toolz together:

3712toolz_resize.jpg,

finding a place to stay on Hermosa Beach away from the tourists, a good seafood meal, and beer in a hammock:

3712imperial_resize.jpg

3712evening_resize.jpg.

Sessioned downtown brown pitty.gif and waves for the following two days in 90 degree weather and 68 degree water, fresh seafood, washed down with beer and great rum concoctions: 3712rumbowl_resize.jpg.

We met a polish woman who joined us, (Bob! Missing out with that ice climbing! smileysex5.gif),

and another friend from anchorage, and we had the crew together:

3712the_crew_resize.jpg.

Together, we rented a 4X4, and spent 5 days hitting beaches along the North central coast. The water was cooler, and I soon shifted out of full-on surfer-mode and started doing more beachcombing, snorkeling (amazing colored fish), and afternoon beer-drinking. rockband.gifbigdrink.gif

In Nosara we stayed at a place that had about 10 Howler Monkeys living in the trees around it. That was cool, except when they would howl at 5AM

I got hit on by a 20-something surf instructor at that place one night drinking guaro late blush.gifthumbs_up.gif

We then went south along the Nicoya peninsula, fairly remote where we found thisawesome surf that you had to drive through a river at low tide to get to. We stayed at a nice lodge up in a bluff overlooking a pristine horseshoe bay. Outside our room:

3712yellow_walls_resize.jpg

Too bad, so sad. Only 8 days. Sunset on another great trip.

3712sunset_resize.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic