Mount St. Helens

JoshK

Can anybody give me a general summary of the slopes I'll find on the south side "normal" winter route up St. Helens. In particular, I am curious about avy concerns and the like. Sorry for the extremely broad question, I've never even been near St. Helens, winter or summer, so I haven't a clue what it's like.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your answer might be gleaned here. I believe the Monitor Ridge Route is the standard easy south side route. The mountain is of varying steepness to the summit (the last bit being fairly steep--maybe 35 degrees--to the crater rim). I can't answer your avy concerns, though. I can say that you need to beware of cornices at the top hanging over the rim. They can get really big, I hear.

You can make Helens as mellow as you like. There is certainly some avalanche terrain if you seek it out, but most of the area is pretty chill. There are a couple really short but steep shots to hit down lower if conditions warrant. The start at the top can't be more than low 30's, if even that. It's pretty mellow. There have been some decent slides in the past though. There are plenty of small, but pretty avoidable terrain traps.

If you are considering doing a winter thing with ski/board down it, I have been eyeing the mtn from Vancouver all week, and really want to give it a try sometime this winter. I also don't know a lot about it's typical winter conditons and whatnot, other than it looks like a great place to get some views and carve some turns, without being in too much danger. Maybe some folks who have done a winter climb can get specific on routes/gear and ski possibilities.

The winter trade route starts at marble mountain snopark in a haze of two-stroke engine fumes and a maze of polaris trailers. Follow the swift creek trail and signs to the worm flows climbing trail. Once at treeline, follow the path of least resistance. Use caution coming down if visiblity is deteriorating. The route is very low-angle, but like the south side of Hood or similar, some decent navigation skills may come into play in low visibility. Gullies all look the same up there. Otherwise, it's a cakewalk for someone with some cascades experience.

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll do muir tomorrow just to avoid the extra driving time now that it's getting later and I still haven't gone to bed. It'll be a good picture day too and I think rainer from paradise and the tattooshis will probably make better pictures.

Josh, I've done St Helens 2x on skis in March and April, and there is no terrain anywhere where you really need to be concerned. The slope below Pan Point on Rainier is much more of a hazard than any slope on St Helens.

That said, approaching the last couple hundred feet to the crater rim should be done pretty slowly...

This'll be my next winter partnerless volcano ski. specific eh? Couldn't stomach the drive so I went and skied up to camp muir instead. It was a great day. Read all about it in my breathtaking TR posted in the freshiezone. You'll be on the edge of your seat.