What does climbing do for you?

fenderfour

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not asking why you climb, just what you get out of it.

A group of my friends was discussing this the other night. It was pretty interesting to hear the responses. Everything from a puzzle to solve to an opportunity for solitude.

Truth...

Down here in the daily grind I often search for what is true. Yet I never quite catch it. I search with the thought of finding a truth which I already know the ending to. A mixed up and childish illution to which I am baffled by every day. On the other hand when I go out to escape, I quit searching. I don't carry the motive of finding the ending. I only carry the nessecities of my day. And after blistering sun, blistering wind, and blistered feet; my hands throbing and the skin torn; joints ache, lungs burn, and the blood is weak; I don't find truth in this escape, it just comes... It does not matter if i have succseeded or failed, it only matters that I have let go of my illutions, and so I feel truth...

smirk.gif

I only carry the nessecities of my day. And after blistering sun, blistering wind, and blistered feet; my hands throbing and the skin torn; joints ache, lungs burn, and the blood is weak; I don't find truth in this escape, it just comes... It does not matter if i have succseeded or failed, it only matters that I have let go of my illutions, and so I feel truth...

smirk.gif

Good take for you. I felt that way about 1985 thru 1995 when I was working for the federal government in South America and South East Asia as a private consultant for various business enterprises that American and American allies were installing to help the governments in those countries. Except some the local trouble makers didn't want help for their people they would disrupt our measures. My job centered around trying to find a middle ground for all parties involved. This was not a pleasant situation at times but a job is a job.

I hate spraying touchy-feely bullshit, so I'll just say: I climb and ski because I get short-tempered and antsy if I don't.

I like Roark's explaination.

So climbing makes your dick bigger?

Maybe being away from the comparisons in the health club locker room make HRoark think that his dick is getting bigger, when in actuality, he is just further from the testing "stick". HCL.gif

It could be why he's so bitchy all the time. the_finger.gif

I hate spraying touchy-feely bullshit, so I'll just say: I climb and ski because I get short-tempered and antsy if I don't.

I like Roark's explaination.

So climbing makes your dick bigger?

Maybe being away from the comparisons in the health club locker room make HRoark think that his dick is getting bigger, when in actuality, he is just further from the testing "stick". HCL.gif

It could be why he's so bitchy all the time. the_finger.gif

Hmmm...I go to the health club/gym four to five days a week, there, fuck-o. Try a new theory.

I've never met a climber with a small ego.

I have. They are the ones who after climbing for 5 to 10 years, are still not quite confident to do their first lead yellaf.gif

Hey don't make fun cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif I have led a few times tongue.gif

Hey Muffy, just go trad climbing skip that sport shit and slam in as much pro as you can then you'll feel safe. I did my first lead the first day I started climbing. I was an outcast at my school hence very few friends. I bought a few nuts, a few biners, a rope and some used EBs. Took my one good friend, some weed to get him to come along, a book so we could read about belaying and that was it. I was hooked on adrenaline. Only thing better than climbing for adrenaline is jumping out of a plane with all your gear between your legs. wazzup.gif

I've never met a climber with a small ego.

Hello, Jake Simms, Nice to meet you...

Well maybe not small, but no where near large; on the matters of skiing it is deffenatly larger the normal, but I ski for different reasons and get different feelings from that then I do from climbing. See I ain't that good at either, but then again I walk down a path of my own perception and I look through nobody elses eyes. I release my self from my ego when I go into the mountains and pearch my self atop a moutain. But when I zip through the trees narowly escaping death, jumping off cliffs, and fly through the air only to feel bones crunching and bell ringing I know I have satisfide a lust for self mutilation, and my ego is squashed...