[TR] Smith Rocks- Zebra Zion -- 5.10b 2/8/2004

goatboy

Climb: Smith Rocks-Zebra Zion -- 5.10b

Date of Climb: 2/8/2004

Trip Report:

Had a great climb in perfect weather today at Smith.

I have climbed the route before and suffered through the hanging belay atop pitch 1, but thanks to some common sense and good beta, we managed to link pitches 1 and 2 into a very reasonable sub-60 M pitch that took us to the top of the tower. My partner Robes linked these pitches in good style.

I drew the short straw and got the vibracious lead out onto the unprotected, easy face. Felt like forever until I got good gear, at which point I was fairly close to the belay.

My lovely fiancee Tamara fired the 4th pitch, great job on her part. It starts off with a pumpy hand traverse that leads quickly to a soaring, steep crack with huge handholds and foot holds, with fantastic exposure looking all the way back down to the base of the route. Clearly the best pitch on the route, I would say.

Walked over to Cinnamon Slab and rappelled down, raced back to Portland in about 3 hours and went straight to TOUCHING THE VOID. What an incredibly well done documentary/movie.

Great weekend, all in all.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of my faves at Smith. Especially this time of year. Sounds like Tamara got the best pitch too, IMO.

I try to stay off of this route while there are people under it so as not to kill anybody with rock fall, which, sigh, anymore seems like all the time with 5 gallon buckets and all the rest of those routes drawing large crowds.

Thanks for sharing.