Glenn Plake on Telemark vs. AT

assmonkey

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is correct that telemark gear is just as heavy as AT these days and, in my view, the telemark fad is largely a historical accident. It does have its advantages (and disadvantages) for backcountry skiing, though.

Advantages:

1. telemark bindings make it easier to lift the tail of ski when touring, and stepping over logs and sidestepping around tree-wells and such,

2. telemark bindings are slightly better on rolling terrain and for touring (in my view the "drag" against heal lift is over-emphasized as a drawback by many AT propagandists)

3. telemark boots are slightly more comfortable for hiking

4. the telemark turn yields greater performance in certain types of terrain/snow (largely where slow-speed turns are useful, but also in certain slop and breakable crust conditions)

disadvantages

1. telemark gear is not as releaseable and even with release plates it is not as safe in falls and maye not in avalanches

2. a telemark set-up yields lesser performance in almost all technical skiing situations (see above)

3. AT boots are better for technical climbing

4. telemark skiing is more strenuous

We've debated telemark v AT on this site at least two or three times before -- run a search to find it.

4. the telemark turn yields greater performance in certain types of terrain/snow (largely where slow-speed turns are useful, but also in certain slop and breakable crust conditions)

blush.gif

Damn, I thought getting a locked heel would help me witht the breakable crust days... confused.gif