"Return of the King" made one thing clear to me:

HRoark

Samwise Gamgee did NOT read "Extreme Alpinism" by Mark Twight before setting out on the journey. Did you see the size of his pack? And all those pots and pans and shit? How did he expect to move fast and light and dodge the Nazgul and Shelob and shit? IMHO, he could have made it a lot easier on himself, especially when climbing the 5.wet Winding Stair. He would have had some reserve energy, and maybe a Gu packet in his pocket, for the final 3rd class scramble up to Mt. Doom.

A wonderful film, if a little disappointing from a alpinism/wilderness travel standpoint.

Roark

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i loved the books as a child but i am completely unable to become enthralled with the movies. i'm reading them with my son these days and i'm enjoying the tale as much this time as i did way back. but i am so sick to death of all the raving about these movies. they're nice but that's about it.

Ok so here is the answer to your question:

In the Tolkien mythology there are different kinds of trolls mentioned. The "stone trolls" (Trolls that turn to stone in the daylight) are only mentioned in "The Hobbit".

There are also Mountain Trolls and Hill trolls. You may remember the mountain trolls manning "Grond" the giant battering ram at the battle of Pelenor Fields. The hill trolls were used during the war of the ring by Sauron as well. They were the big guys with the large hammers.

hope this helps.

OK, so here's my LOTR geek question. What the heck were the trolls doing fighting in the middle of the day? I thought they turned to stone in the sunlight. Maybe they had a high SPF...

like your disbelief was totally suspended up until that point?

yelrotflmao.gif

Well, I was pretty convinced it was a documentary. But since Oliver Stone wasn't invovled, I didn't quite take it for historical fact.