Hubbell Space Telescope to Die an Untimely Death

catbirdseat

NASA says it is not going to send a Space Shuttle to perform maintenance on the Hubble Space Telescope to keep it working until 2010. As a result it will likely become useless by 2007-8. It's replacement will not be in orbit until 2012. This means at least four years without a space telescope, because NASA doesn't think it can be justified to risk the lives of astronauts.

This is pussy ass bullshit. Astronauts are like climbers. They live for that kind of risk. With the improvements they are now making to the Shuttle, the risks will be less than they had been before and we have already done two missions to repair Hubble.

I think that NASA is blowing in the wind, oscillating back and forth from a cowboy attitude to a take no risk one. If Bush had any spine he'd tell NASA to buck up and send a shuttle.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does the Hubble telescope contribute to our bold mission to send a man to Mars!!? Zip, zilch, nada. Mars or bust baby. Mars or bust.

How are we going to see the marstronauts floating stranded in space because they used miles instead of kilometers? wave.gif

The use of the Hubble Space telescope is not consistent with the military-industrial mission of the 'new' NASA.

Sure it is. Since the Hubble is basically a KH-11 spy satellite turned around to look at stars instead of the ground, it's a fine example of introducing military technology into civil use.

Unfortunately the new vision of going to Mars within 20 years means that just about every NASA dollar gets spent on this vision... Hubble is basically scrapped. I think it is a damn shame.

I believe that the only real reason why we are not scrapping the shuttles earlier (like right now) is that we have a few commitments that we need to live up to, as soon as that is done we turn them off.

The whole thing with the international space station is a big mess as well. Basically we are saying, no we are not interested in it anymore. It is not on a grand enough scale. Headlines is what we are looking for. Having a flying space station is so 1980's. Mars will stay in the news.

I do agree that space exploration is a grand endeavor that we should continue, and Mars is a great goal. But to forego all of the existing projects such as the Hubble and the ISS to put the money towards mars is a bit of a headline grabber...

It was George Herbert Bush who gave the go ahead to build the International Space Station. I didn't agree with it then and I don't agree with it now. There isn't enough good science coming out of that to justify it's enormous cost. All the experiments they are doing can be done as well or better by remotely operated space vehicles. When you have humans on board you have all sorts of vibrations, unnecessary heat sources etc, that you wouldn't have on a dedicated science mission that was remotely operated.

This just in:

AFP Photo

NASA to Review Decision on Fate of Hubble

(AP) - The clamor over a plan to abandon the Hubble Space Telescope — and along with it, the most striking images of the universe the world has ever seen — has been so loud that NASA's chief says the decision will be reviewed. The pleas included letters from Sen. Barbara Mikulski, rants and raves on an infamous climbers bulletin board, and a joint letter from all members of Congress from Maryland, where the orbiting platform's operations are based. Hubble's fate has also become a cause for amateur and professional astronomers worldwide, and e-mails have poured in to the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, which coordinates the use of Hubble's instruments...

Complete Story

• 2 weeks later...

The decision is in!

NASA says no to Hubble

So, what does this mean? See next statement below.

Shuttle astronauts would be just as safe going to the Hubble Space Telescope as they would be on a mission to the International Space Station, according to two leaked documents reportedly written by NASA engineers.

Source

307868-photo8.jpg

And, here's more perspective on the story.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Top NASA officials on Monday likened the expected demise of the Hubble Space Telescope to a death in the family and disagreed with agency engineers who wanted to keep the popular program alive.

"There is life beyond Hubble, as much as I hate to admit that," said Ed Weiler, NASA's head of space science.

Weiler -- along with Bill Readdy, head of space flight at NASA, and John Grunsfeld, the agency's chief scientist -- took issue with reports by NASA engineers that argued it was no riskier for astronauts to pay a service call on the orbiting telescope than it was for them to build the International Space Station.

The reports, written by NASA engineers who declined to be named for fear of losing their jobs, dispute the Jan. 16 decision by NASA chief Sean O'Keefe to forgo a scheduled shuttle mission to repair and upgrade Hubble in 2005 or 2006.

307868-photo8.jpg.0e1e1c3492ad9ca352d3faf01f42d6c0.jpg

Edited by Stonehead

Save the Hubble Petition

I dunno - for the cost and original sanfus with the Hubble, I think it has given more bang for the buck than nearly any other NASA project in recent years. Like the Mars rovers, it provides visual data that people can see and therefore sets off their imaginations. One of the arguements for the obsolecence of the Hubble is that it will be replaced by the James Webb telescope - however, if the Hubble is allowed to degrade, it would be several years before the Webb is launched and online (2011), and additionally, the Webb is an infrared telescope, so has a different mission than the Hubble.