compared to any other tools out there?

In particular they have a slightly longer shaft than most

other similar tools. Does this make them unwieldy? Is the

extra length even noticeable?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alp wing's extra length is noticable when compared to real (BD) tools. Dunno about the tech wing.

Paul how many times have you used alp wings? I haven't used bd tools very often but haven't noticed the difference, its 3cm.

Fern I have alp wings like them and wish I had money for tech wings too but don't.

Tech wings are the best of show. IF you actually find them on sale i would buy them. I have climbed with quarks, cobras, machines, most any major brand tool. Tech's are by far my favorite. They will work for alpine just fine too.

Fern,

The Tech Wings have the same geometry as their predecessors, the Light Machines. Meaning, that the position of the grip, the angle of the head, and the amount of clearance are the same. The only real differences are the shape of the shaft and the new head design. The shaft of the Tech Wing has a smooth curve to give you clearance, where the old Light Machine had a sharp bend in the middle of the shaft. The new forged head will take the same components as the old Light Machine but has a bit more weight to it. Before I started climbing on Machines and Tech Wings, I climbed on Cobras. I think that the Tech Wings climb a lot like Cobras, but with more clearance than the Cobras. The grip is a bit narrower than BD grips so it fits more hand sizes. Also, one of the biggest things Grivel tools have going for them is their forged picks which are super tough. I haven't found another pick that can take a beating like the Grivel picks. Keep in mind that I'm a rep for Grivel North America, but I've climbed on a lot of BD, Charlet Moser, and other tools in the past. The Tech Wings and Top Wings will be replaced by two new leashless tools in the Fall. Not because they are inferior, but new designs, trends, and/or climbing styles require changes from time to time. So, if you want to pick up a set do it soon. If you can find them on sale, great. If you want to PM me for more info, feel free.

thanks for the info.

I have old style (silver) Rambos now. I haven't climbed

much with BD tools.

One thing about the Grivel grips. The so-called ergonomic grip

on the Tech Wings (and the yellow Rambos) has a bump which

I suppose is meant to fit between the index and middle

finger, which means that despite the narrow grip the tools

are designed for a specific (large) hand size. My

index finger sits right on that bump when I rest my pinky

on the ledge at the end of the shaft.

what's underneath the grip? Would it be possible to strip

it off and put on regular unformed grip like on the Top Wing?

what's with this IF I find them on sale?? I already did, that's

why I brought the topic up yellaf.gif

Sorry. I forgot about your second post. As far as I know, you should be able to strip off the grip of the Tech Wings, but if you did that, then essentially they would become the same thing as the Top Wings with leashes. The only difference would be the cradle for your hand at the end of the shaft versus the pinky rest on the Tech Wings. The trigger for your index finger could be removed if you didn't want to use it.

• 8 months later...

If you want to get a pair of tech wings on sale, go to http://www.hmmountaineering.com and email Michelle. She's had a pair on the wall since I started working there over a year ago. They are on sale, but I don't recall the price. It might be on the web site. She doesn't really do web sales, so you will have to call her and give her a credit card and pay shipping.

Edited by mconnell