Columbia Basin cond's

Alex

Went out Sunday, expecting it to be colder than Seattle, at least. It wasnt!

South: some of the beer climbs are kinda there, but not really. Guiness looks ultra thin, Kickapoo not there. The first route we encountered that was really climbable was Champagne, in very climbable (though very wet, Sunday) shape Champagne, p1, Sunday . We drove a little further, saw 2 parties at Children of the Sun (3 climbable lines), and returned to Champagne. p1 a shower, only got halfway up before full-body soaking mandated retreat. Walked around to the p2, which was dry and a pleasant WI3 lead. Champagne, p2

Banks E Shore: Generally colder than just 10 miles South. The climbs were much drier and have a chance of staying around if the temps dont get too mild. Absent Minded Professor not in at all. Cable in, thin, and lead on Sunday by some dudes from Spokane. The very bottom does not touch. H2O2, thin and steep. Agent Orange might be leadable but I dont think the top cigar is touching. Salt and Pepper upper pitch in but a little thinner than I've seen it in the past. Generally alot of stuff forming/was formed, but we didnt go further N than that.

Edited by Alex

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a few pics of Champagne taken this Saturday in the Gallery. It's in pretty good shape but WET. The right side is vertical slush, but the left was pretty solid. Fortunately the full on garden hose effect eases off about half way up. I would not want to be on that route if it was any warmer than it was when we were on it (~34 degrees). A few years ago I checked it out on a warmish day and decided against it. The next day we drove by and the whole thing had fallen down.

The Cable looked hard. Hats off to whomever lead it.

Was out at banks on saturday... Stuff looked pretty good, but I doubt it'll last long in these temps.

h2o2.jpg

h2o2

agent_orange.jpg

agent orange (?)

zenith.jpg

Zenith

trotskys_dave.jpg

Trotsky's folly

Wow, two hats off to whoever lead the cable on sunday. That thing looked WAY burly!