Inspiration Traverse?

tshimko

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that is what the Skoog's call it, but I haven't heard of anybody else doing it (though they probably have) so I don't think you will find much discussion on this bulletin board. I once heard Lowell say that it was the hardest of the three great N-S traverses (Picket, Inspiration, and Ptarmigan) in terms of it's huge up and down struggles with elevation.

"Isolation Traverse" is the name our party gave the route after we skied it in 1983 (since it goes over Isolation Peak and it is...well...isolated). I don't know if anybody called it that before then. Actually, Matt, the Picket traverse is the hardest of the three routes you mentioned. Here are a couple of links to my journal notes from the two times I skied the route:

http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/ms/lds-journal.html#lds-journal-p159

http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/ms/lds-journal.html#lds-journal-p912

Thanks for the correction, Lowell. At the time, I thought it surprising to hear you say something about how the "Isolation" was harder than the Pickett Traverse - but I guess I simply misunderstood you. Anyway, here's to cc.com for providing a place where someone can ask questions and get answers from someone who actually has them. thumbs_up.gif