Split Board Advice

glen

So, now that my board has been stolen, I think I'm going to pony up, save up, and get a Voile Split Decision. Anybody out there have any recommendations on good places to go to get one? Local shops with good prices or el cheapo web sites?

All of the online retailers I've seen seem to shy away or link you to backcountrystore.com, which is the same price as picking it up in town and supporting the local folks.

Also, I'm debating between the 159 and 166. I weigh 165lbs and am not sure about the stiffness of the boards. Anyone out there who's ridden them have any pointers or reasons to lean one way or the other? I'm leaning towards the 166 for the extra float, though the cascade pow isn't quite so light and I may be able to get away with the 159.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 166 and I weigh in at around 185. It works good for me though sometimes I wish I had the next size up. I wouldn't worry about the stiffness, I would be more concerned about the softness. Split boards in general are much softer than regular board and they have a ton more lateral flex. If I was you I would probably go for the 166 like you were thinking.

One thing about split boards is they sort of blow for hard pack conditions. So when spring comes around I know I will be strapping my Palmer to my back. Because of the lateral flex they do ride a little differently than regular boards, but not that different. So those are the down sides. The up sides are they climb like you wouldn't believe, they are very menuverable in the woods, and they float really good.

As for where to get one. Somebody on this site had one posted in the yardsale section and check E-bay. You might want to check in with Voile and see if they have any returns or refurbs.

I used a Voile for the first time this last Friday up at Table Mountain. It might have been old but I thought the bindings were for suck. I'd really look at the Burton to see if they are any better. I usually ride a 162 NItro Team, but I rented a 175. In the softness of the day it was amazing. Best run of my life. I weigh 170.

Hey eternalX did you use Voile's hard boot bindings? Because Voile doesn't make any other bindings. If you are talking about the mounting system what did you not like about it? I know what I don't like is that it attaches with a cotter pin that is easy to lose, they sort of fixed that problem by having a cable that attaches the pin to the binding so you don't lose it. The mounting hardware for the Burton definitely looks better, except that it looks like it could get ice encrusted pretty easily. I thought the Burton would have less flex than the Voile because of their mounting system, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

hard boot bindings? No. the bindings were Rossignol. Had i done it over again I would've used by own Nitro bindings as they are better. I think a lot of my frustration was self-inflicted. One time the binding covored the pin. it took me 5-10 minutes to work it off. The borad also seemed to have 0 edges a skis. Taking the cat track back to the lodge was pretty hairy and i'm a pretty good skier.

I only weigh 140 and I ride a 166 splitter. At times I wish I had a longer one. I mostly ride in Utah, however, though have enjoyed the 166 in the Sierras, my current home. The Voile is a much more idiot-proof and unbreakable setup than the Burton. My roomie had the burton and loses his mind every time we go out because something always breaks and it ices up a lot. My $.02.

If you are budget, you can also order a split kit & skins from Voile - I split my own K2 and mounted the splitkit on it no problem. It's also nice when you wear out a board, you can just remove the hardware and remount on a new deck.

Steve

I have a Split I'd like to part with (need to pay for my car repairs, er, trip to Banff last week) cry.gif

173 CM Voile Split Decision with mountain plate bindings (brand-new ) and tractor skins. Minor nicks in top sheet. Used lightly for one season. Paid $900, will sell the lot for $500. Will toss in an old pair of Clicker bindings (already mounted). PM or email db_climbz@hotmail.com. Live in Seattle and happy to meet if you want a look.