BD Shrikes

Doug

My experience is that several members of this board have opinions. Anyone got one (opinion) on BD Shrike Ice Tools? Thinking of buying a pair for general mountaineering and the occasional Water Ice route. They look like they'd bounce off of anything too hard, like Alaska Ice, but that isn't in my immediate future.

Spray away..... cool.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Lambone's old pair, I like 'em alot. Good for exactly what you describe...all arounder that can handle whatever you want to throw at them. Simple, functional, and cheap. Unless you've got money to burn, or are climbing strictly difficult water ice or mixed, I don't see why you'd need any more tool than this. I'd love a pair of Cobras, but I'm not shelling out the loot for them...not until those college loans are paid off anyway.

BD have discontinued the Shrikes. The heads are identical to other BD tools, overall they're marginall lighter than most of the other BD offerings.

The Alaska picks (not listed on bdel.com but still available) work great for general alpine use.