I will enjoy all...

Peter_Puget

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with Bush is what he's doing to our relationships with other nations. The other issues go back and forth. Al 'Earth in the Balance' Gore and Billy Clinton were too hard-over for many of us, but if you liked what they did for the environment, etc., you'll have your day again relatively soon. The unmitigated disaster in the ME, our relationships with the other large powers in the world, these things are problems that take on lives of their own and change the course of history.

willstrickland said:

Peter_Puget said:

..the weeping on CC.com after the next national election.

the unemployment rate will edge down only slightly, averaging 5.6% in 2004

Getting happier by the hour, PP

This seems to be the most relevant stat I see. Economic growth on paper doesn't mean jack to the people still out of work. While economists will point out that 5.6% is really not that high (some even place the natural rate around 5%) the fact that it's been much lower for a decade or more will influence the perception of the man in the street.

Yeah, but if the unemployment rate is lower than the natural rate, the economy is unstable.

Doctorb, STFU. I doubt there is any rational person who will agree with everything ANY party does. Believing that Bush is the devil is as moronic as beliving that he's god. Don't be an idiot.

Sadly, the occurance of presidential assination is terribly low. I pray every day that this nightmare will end before I get herded into a concentration camp for being a terrorist. I'm sure PP will be thrilled by the money that will be saved when myself and my fellow prisoners are forced to sew our own yellow "T"s.

Doctorb said:

280 million people, 2/3 employable, 5.6% unemployment, that's 10,348,000 people without jobs. Thanks George!!!

You should know something about labor stats: You are only classified "unemployed" if you are actively seeking work. If you've realized after two fruitless years that there's no where else to look until the economic picture changes, you are technically not "unemployed". Some labor stats also use unemployment claims as a basis of calculation. So if your unemployment benefits run out, you're not taken into account.

I often hear reports that "unemployment claims are down for the last two quarters.." Well NO SHIT, people have exhausted their benefits and still don't have a job...they CAN'T file a claim. If the economic situation stays the same, claims will eventually go down without any change in unemployed people.

cracked said:

willstrickland said:

Peter_Puget said:

the unemployment rate will edge down only slightly, averaging 5.6% in 2004

Getting happier by the hour, PP

This seems to be the most relevant stat I see. Economic growth on paper doesn't mean jack to the people still out of work. While economists will point out that 5.6% is really not that high (some even place the natural rate around 5%) the fact that it's been much lower for a decade or more will influence the perception of the man in the street.

Yeah, but if the unemployment rate is lower than the natural rate, the economy is unstable.

Doctorb, STFU. I doubt there is any rational person who will agree with everything ANY party does. Believing that Bush is the devil is as moronic as beliving that he's god. Don't be an idiot.

holy shit. yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

Doctorb said:

280 million people, 2/3 employable, 5.6% unemployment, that's 10,348,000 people without jobs. Thanks George!!!

Another gem. rolleyes.gif Pick up any basic macroecon textbook, flip to the section on natural unemployment rate, read it, and once you understand it, come back and spew. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

willstrickland said:

Doctorb said:

You should know something about labor stats: You are only classified "unemployed" if you are actively seeking work. If you've realized after two fruitless years that there's no where else to look until the economic picture changes, you are technically not "unemployed". Some labor stats also use unemployment claims as a basis of calculation. So if your unemployment benefits run out, you're not taken into account.

I often hear reports that "unemployment claims are down for the last two quarters.." Well NO SHIT, people have exhausted their benefits and still don't have a job...they CAN'T file a claim. If the economic situation stays the same, claims will eventually go down without any change in unemployed people.

Thanks for pointing this out. People have simply stopped looking for work, or their benefits have run out. There are considerably more than 10.5 million people without jobs.

Doctorb said:

cracked: once a douche, always a douche. There is a reason why you're so hated around here. It faces you in the mirror.

What's the matter? Bitter than you never took Econ 201? Seems you don't like arguing against economic principles. No wonder you have to resort to juvenile insults and sustanceless posts. yellowsleep.gif

cracked said:

Doctorb said:

Another gem. rolleyes.gif Pick up any basic macroecon textbook, flip to the section on natural unemployment rate, read it, and once you understand it, come back and spew. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

I'm so glad that you have swallowed the content of you're "Macroecon" texts without a second thought. I'm sure you're a great student.

Peter_Puget said:

Revising its year-end economic forecast sharply upward, The Conference Board today projected that real GDP growth will hit 5.7% next year, making 2004 the best year economically in the last 20 years...While the U.S. economy is expected to generate more than one million new jobs next year, the unemployment rate will edge down only slightly, averaging 5.6% in 2004

Conference Board Link

Corroborative evidence of the landslide to come:

A stunning new poll shows President Bush would clobber Democratic front-runner Howard Dean by nearly 2-1 in politically potent New Hampshire - even though Dean has a giant lead over Democratic rivals in the state.

Bush gets 57 percent to Dean's 30 percent among registered voters in the American Research Group poll. In fact, Dean, from neighboring Vermont, does worse in the Granite State than a generic "Democratic Party nominee" who loses to Bush by 51 to 34 percent. Another ARG poll this month showed Dean with a 30-point lead over Sen. John Kerry (Mass.) for the Jan. 27 New Hampshire primary, the second test after the Jan. 19 Iowa caucuses.

Link

Getting happier by the hour,

PP bigdrink.gif

Can't wait. bigdrink.gif Too bad I'm not registered to vote in Texas anymore where my vote really counts ... boxing_smiley.gif

cracked said:

What's the matter? Bitter than you never took Econ 201? Seems you don't like arguing against economic principles. yellowsleep.gif

Son, my minor at Georgia Tech was economics. That's GT, one of the best schools in the nation, consistently ranked in the top 25-30 schools overall, top 10 engineering schools, top values in education, and top graduate programs ...and top 25 in football and basketball, after recently crushing the #1 ranked UConn in hoops and bowl bound with a true freshman quarterback the_finger.gif Now get back to your books little man and when you get out of sophomore year and beyond Keynes and aggregate demand equations, come back and talk to us.

willstrickland said:

cracked said:

What's the matter? Bitter than you never took Econ 201? Seems you don't like arguing against economic principles. yellowsleep.gif

Son, my minor at Georgia Tech was economics. That's GT, one of the best schools in the nation, consistently ranked in the top 25-30 schools overall, top 10 engineering schools, top values in education, and top graduate propgrams ...and top 25 in football and basketball, after recently crushing the #1 ranked UConn in hoops and bowl bound with a true freshman quarterback the_finger.gif Now get back to your books little man and when you get out of sophomore year and beyond Keynes and aggregate demand equations, come back and talk to us.

You sound like you know what you're talking about. This Doctorb character doesn't. I was referring to him, dunno how go interpreted it as against you. confused.gifbigdrink.gif

PP said, "Bush gets 57 percent to Dean's 30 percent among registered voters in the American Research Group poll."

I don't know about you guys, but that seems damn impressive to me. A guy who hasn't even gotten his party's nomination is only trailing a wartime incumbent president 30 to 57 percent! I'd say that spells trouble for Bush.

Plus, as the war goes on, I think there will be more and more people like Iain and myself who will vote for "a braying donkey on pcp" over the shrub.

iain said:

I LOVE the my college is better than your college ace in the hole in debates! BWHAHAHA!

I was looking for a way to get those bball and football rankings in there, bury them in other education stats...works everytime. the_finger.gif Besides, I don't even know which nursery school the young lad attends...wherever the headstart bus stops I guess.

BTW Iain, you're hiring for a position. Both candidates are equally matched in every way, same GPA, same experience, hell they're even physical twins with the same outside interests....except one went to Dumbfuck U and one was edumacated at MIT....who you gonna hire....umm yeah.

I got a job in OR once in large part because the board had 4 of 8 members who had done either their undergrad or grad work at GT.

Where'd you got to school Iain?

Alpinfox said:

That's nepotism not respect for a "good school".

Actually, I'd say that was knowing how fucking hard that school was and that anyone who could get through it in good fashion could certainly handle any of the job requirements easily. I'm not talking flag waving, football fan fantics in the alumni association. Either way, I got the job fruit.gif

willstrickland said:

iain said:

I LOVE the my college is better than your college ace in the hole in debates! BWHAHAHA!

I was looking for a way to get those bball and football rankings in there, bury them in other education stats...works everytime. the_finger.gif Besides, I don't even know which nursery school the young lad attends...wherever the headstart bus stops I guess.

BTW Iain, you're hiring for a position. Both candidates are equally matched in every way, same GPA, same experience, hell they're even physical twins with the same outside interests....except one went to Dumbfuck U and one was edumacated at MIT....who you gonna hire....umm yeah.

I got a job in OR once in large part because the board had 4 of 8 members who had done either their undergrad or grad work at GT.

Where'd you got to school Iain?

Macalester College. Liberal arts bastion of the midwest. Alma mater of such wussy peaceniks like Kofi Annan and Walter Mondale yellaf.gif Kofi likes to down 'em at O'Gara's bar down the street thumbs_up.gif was there to greet me as a freshman, and at graduation. They gave me a good deal.

For sports they suck, but my soccer team was ranked 4th in the nation in NCAA div. III when I was on it. thump thump thump thump thump

another example supporting yoru assertion that the media will try to sink Bush. Thanks again for bringing it up.

TNR Link

All in all, Bush's announcement sounds progressive and important. So how did the media play it? The New York Times, which has had the incredible, super-ultra menace of Midwest power plants on page one perhaps a dozen times since Bush took office, put the plan to end the problem on page A24. The Times story was a small box cryptically headlined. "E.P.A. Drafts New Rules for Emissions From Power Plants." The Washington Post put the story on page two but under the headline, "E.P.A. Aims to Change Pollution Rules," suggesting something ominous, adding the subhead, "Utilities Could Buy Credits From Cleaner-Operating Power Plants," neglecting to add that credits could be purchased only if the result was an overall decline in pollution.

The proper placement for this story was page one--where the anti-Bush environmental stories always run--and the proper headline was, BUSH ORDERS DRAMATIC POLLUTION REDUCTION. But you didn't see that, did you?

PP bigdrink.gif

willstrickland said:

cracked said:

Son, my minor at Georgia Tech was economics. That's GT, one of the best schools in the nation, consistently ranked in the top 25-30 schools overall, top 10 engineering schools, top values in education, and top graduate programs ...and top 25 in football and basketball, after recently crushing the #1 ranked UConn in hoops and bowl bound with a true freshman quarterback the_finger.gif Now get back to your books little man and when you get out of sophomore year and beyond Keynes and aggregate demand equations, come back and talk to us.

Ah, you mean the Economics certificate.

I remember the days of GT... the sophomore-level weeder courses... zero partial credit on exam problems... TBS...