MountainSmith Vision

Rodchester

I am looking at picking up a med-range (15-20 degree) sleeping bag that is two pounds or less and very compressible.

I have looked at the Marmot Helium and find it to be a very nice bag, but the retail price is a bit high ($350.00)

I am looking at the Moonstone Lucid, fits the bill with a solid price ($270.00).

I have looked at the Feathered Friends bags and Western Mountaineering also.

But my question is: Has anyone seen or used one of the newer MountainSmith bags?

MountainSmith Vision

It is sub two pounds, 750+ down, compressible, and priced around $300.00 retail.

Anyone know of any gear store stocking the bag locally (Seattle area)?

Anyone know anything about these bags?

Thanks in advance!

wave.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure these are all good bags. It's too bad we can't line them all up side by side and compare. At $295 for the 6' length the WM UltraLite might be worth a second look. 1lb 10oz for the 6' length, and there is a 5'-6" length also. 20 degree rated.

I recently had the opportunity to compare the 1 lb 10 oz UltraLite side by side with the 2 lb Lucid, and would recommend anyone shopping for down bags to have a close look at Western.

A little more money, but the WM VersaLite is also nice at 2lbs with a solid 15 degree rating.

Happy shopping to all

Edited by Gearhead

So I went by REI this weekend and tried out the Sub Kilo. I must admit, it is one hell of a bag and at a cost that is hard to beat. thumbs_up.gif

I also stuffed it, and weighed it. With the stuff sack it was exactly 2 lbs. 1 oz. It had a full zipper. 700 fill. Exactly as advertised. On top of that, the stuff sack I used had four useless buckles and straps that could have been cut off, saving a bit more weight.

The negative was that it has a 57-inch cut in the chest. This is narrow. Unfortunately, too narrow for my fat ass. If I weren't as big as I am, I would have purchased it in a heartbeat. mad.gif

I also looked at the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15-degree version. A very nice bag. That said it was considerably more expensive, it didn't stuff as well (ease and size) and it weighed in at 2 lbs. 5 oz with stuff sack. They advertised it at 1 lb. 15 ozs. a full six ounces more than advertised. thumbs_down.gif Short zipper. It was cut larger in the chest (60-inch) which was enough. Also, not cheap ($325.00).

thumbs_down.gif

MH-Phantom

The WM Ultra light is also a bag that is cut to narrow for me (59-inch). At $295.00, they aren’t cheap, but better than Marmot and M-Hardwear. Though I would like to try it on for size and weigh it. Does PMS carry them and are they in stock?

WM-Ultralite

The Moonstone Lucid is elusive. I can’t find it anywhere in Seattle. At 2lbs. 1 oz., it is right on for weight. At $270.00 it is a great price point. (I need the long). 800-fill. Full zipper. It has a wide chest cut (63-inch). I want to check out this bag. cry.gif

Moonstone Lucid

Feathered Friends Swallow is also being considered. I don’t need to even mention their impeccable attention to detail and craftsmanship. As usual, they aren’t cheap. 750 fill. Half length zipper. 2 lbs. 1 oz. is right on in weight. The price is ranges from $270.00 to $355.00 depending on the shell material. I’d prefer the Epic at $320.00. Cheaper than Marmot. thumbs_up.gif

I couldn’t go with the Hummingbird due to chest size. It is a slim bag (58-inch) in the chest box. frown.gif

FF-Swallow

I really would like to compare the Mountainsmith Vision as well. Great weight at 1lb. 15 ozs. Chest cut is good at 62 inch. Full zipper. 750+ down.

MS-Vision

So that's my report on my search for the ultimate down lightweight 15-20 degree bag big enough to fit my fat ass in.

wave.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a WM ultralight and I haven't been disappointed, but I don't have your fat ass problem. It has been warm enough (when I wear my belay jacket inside it) on winter trips and a June night on Liberty Cap with high winds (inside a tent). It's really light and appears to be very well made. I wouldn't mind if they put a small draft collar in it though. Check out the WM "Megalite" which is the fatman's version of the Ultralite (64" shoulder, 1lb 8oz, 30deg), but not as warm. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ba_MegaLite.htm

I have heard that REI tends to overestimate the warmth of their bags so I am skeptical that the subkilo is as warm as they claim. Also, in my limited experience handling one, it seemed underfilled and the down was kind of clumpy.

REI bags thumbs_down.gif

PMS does carry WM Ultralilte and some other WM bags. Don't know if they are in stock. Email/call

www.promountainsports.com

Edited by Alpinfox

I have a FF Swallow, dryloft shell (no EPIC back when I bought it). I've been extremely happy with mine. As you said, attention to detail is superb. I've probably spent around 300 nights in this bag and it's got at least 300 more left in it. It WAS pricey, but I think it was worth it.

In the same time frame, I've worn out two synthetic 15degree bags. I don't know what Sierra Designs has to offer in the ultralight down category, but in my experience with FF, TNF, Marmot, and SD bags, the SDs have been the best bang for the buck.

I should mention that I also don't have your fat ass problem wave.gif

• 3 months later...

Actually, I just picked one up.

I am impressed so far. It is light. However, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I was able to get a good "deal" on it.

I did look at, in the store, the WM Ultralite (at PMS). Wow, what a nice bag. The loft was amazing and it came in right on its advertised weight. But it was just too spendy.

I went back and looked at the REI Sub-kilo since its redesign and again, for the money I was pretty impressed. Right on its advertised weight. I still say, for the money one of the best down light weight bags in this temp range.

I have been unable to pick up, or even look at a Moonstone Lucid.