Wannabe weatherman

fleblebleb

I'm fascinated by the weather... why is Rainier only visible from Seattle when I can stare at it from my office window, but buried in goo when I have time off...?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a layman's introductory text on weather phenomena? Could be an introductory college textbook but something nicer to read wouldn't be at all bad. Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know... one of my atmospheric science profs did find a strongly significant correlation bwetween Vancouver weather and day of the week. more car pollution from commuting = more condensation nuclei = more fog and rain. it peaked on Wednesday/thursday and declined by saturday afternoon.

this research was even published in a major journal of atmospheric science.

Wow, here I was thinking that the weekends go bad when fronts that built up way out there over the Pacific hit us at a bad time, by random coincidence. You guys are funny - well, except for that bit messing up my screen name, it really isn't that complicated klonker grin.gif" border="0

But, seriously, I'm just trying to figure out stuff like orographic this and convergence that, yada and blah. I can go to the bookstore and goof, but not while I'm stuck at work plus I'd much rather get a recommendation...

ALRIGHT Nacho, you got it down! [big Drink]

Hey kleenex, thanks for the link and the offer man. Those sat images are awesome.

You know, I fell so much last weekend it isn't even funny. That's what you get from flailing at sport routes that are way over your head grin.gif" border="0

Wait, I just realized klenke sounds like a toothless person pronouncing the Icelandic word klinka, which means woman working in a beauty parlor or something like that. Or maybe it means doorknob. If I open a beauty parlor in hell you can come work for me, or be a doorknob. If you do have teeth you probably wouldn't make a good doorknob though.

I can't really take you up on the offer, I don't really know enough to ask interesting questions. But thanks, maybe later?/Stefan

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: fleblebleb ]