Buying USGS Quads Online

Monty_Smith

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could buy one or you could just download it and print it for free. All USGS maps are available for free to download. I have about 75% of California downloaded so far and am working on the rest. The link below will take you to the DRG (Digital Raster Graphics) main page. It takes some time to find what you are looking for. If the area you are looking for is in Ca. I might be

able to tell you exactly which data set to download.

Good Luck

-n

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/drg/

Buy terrain navigator, it is about $140 for all of the WA and OR 15 and 7.5 minute quads, it is searchable and printable. There is an option to linke the quads together seemlessly so you can print a map that may actually be on 2 or 3 seperate quads. I have used it for years and it is the most invaluable piece of gear I own. You can make a map for just about any trip in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Monty_Smith said:

anyone got a good source for buying quads online?

Gotta have some way of clicking thru/zooming in maps to find the one I want (most quad sellers require you to enter the quad name, which for a new area you usually don't have!)

thx

Monty

Hi Monty;

the best thing I've found so far is the series put out by National Geographic of interactive maps on CD Rom called TOPO! I bought four 2CD packs covering the entire WA &OR cascades and Olympics for about $80.00.You can roam and search any area,enlarge or reduce to isolate any area,(zoom and magnifier)and it has features that allow you to print out maps on totally waterproof Adventure Paper,that will show routes,coordinates,(grid settings w/ latitudelongitude,UTM)distance and elevation profiles.All in color.It has additional features to allow for linking directly to handheld GPS.I may never need to buy another USGS quad.Bought it at REI. wave.gif

Good info and links here, thanks guys.

Monty, if you're still looking for the actual maps to order online, Spokane shop Northwest Map & Travel is excellent--they keep good stock of all northwest US and west Canada maps and more, regularly take orders via net, mail, phone, and they ship everywhere. Ship/mail times would be a day or so to Portland, Seattle.

Also locally owned by the folks of a couple climbers who've since moved away to live on walls and climb around the world.

http://www.nwmaps.com/

Striderzz said:

You could buy one or you could just download it and print it for free. All USGS maps are available for free to download. I have about 75% of California downloaded so far and am working on the rest. The link below will take you to the DRG (Digital Raster Graphics) main page. It takes some time to find what you are looking for. If the area you are looking for is in Ca. I might be

able to tell you exactly which data set to download.

Good Luck

-n

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/drg/

Strider, thanks for the info. I followed the link and searched the USGS site but only found links to where you can purchase CDs of maps either directly from the USGS or participating retailers. Can you point us to where the USGS is hiding the download page?