Small alpine rack

dryad

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think PP may be right about that.

I don't think I want to place my hex's in the "no twist" configuration mentioned by Lummox, at least not in anything like a parallel sided crack where the differences in the dimension between twist-right or twist-left and no-twist are significant. Sounds good on paper, though.

There may be three stages of hex design then. Because I have a solid #11 and a drilled #11. The drilled one is clearly thinner walled. It also has a asymetrical hex (to enhance "camming" but it cams like a cantelope)whereas the old hex is symetrical . So maybe that is why there used to be only three ways to place a hex. smirk.gif

I'm not sure, but I think the ones in that old Chouinard catalog that you posted the link to may be "symmetrical" too. The text says they fit in three different attitudes, but the pictures look rather symmetrical. I'm going to have to go home and rifle through my box of old hardware and take a look to see if I may have some.

A small alpine rack to me means-

3-5 stoppers

2-3 tri-cams (red and pink included Optional would be one of the blues)

orange, yellow, green metolius cams

If the route is not often climbed or rarely and it's longer than 800 feet and 5.8 I might bring a piton or 3. 2 kbs and one la or baby angle.

These beauties are in Mattp's museam of nuts:

nuts.jpg

The left is an SMC camlock, and it was actually an "advanced" model that came out some time ca late '70's. It has channels on the straight side so it works somewhat like a tricam. The middle one is a (symmetrical) Chouinard hexcentric #6, purchased about 1972, and the right one is made by Peck and roughly the same vintage.

Where's your picture, PP?

I have the SMC Camlock and the Peck but not a hex like that. Here is a picture of a drilled and a non drilled. The drilled was 70's vintage and the non drilled either late 70's or early 80's. The drilled cam is thicker than the non drilled. It is not just because of the sizes I chose to compare.

605hexcomp.jpg

And for grins here is a prototype TCU model by Metolius and an early Alien by CCH.

605early_tcu_and_alien_models.jpg

PP bigdrink.gif

In 1971, Yvon Chouinard threw on to the market the Regular Hexentric invented by himself and Tom Frost. A much improved Hexagon, it was however still symmetrical and did not allow more than three different settings. The real revolution landed in 1974 with the Polycentric Hexentric which, this time, allowed four settings. A Norwegian, Tomas Carlström, had given the idea to the Chouinard / Frost team some time before. Trying to make copies of Chouinard symmetrical Hexentrics himself, Tomas Carlström took two old Clog Hexagons and machined them. But since his tools were not very precise, he was first disappointed by the asymmetrical chocks he had made. Then, EUREKA, he discovered that they worked in one more position than the original Chouinard Hexentrics. In 1972, Chouinard increased his hardware line with a set of seven Stoppers which were to be the subject of many improvements during the following years and become in the USA, the reference for the pyramidal nut. In 1973 and 1975, he produced the Tube Chocks which covered the four to six inch offwidth cracks and the Crack?n-Ups that protected the ultra-thin vertical cracks. With Chouinard Equipment, the Americans had all the necessary tools for their new ethic, all nuts or hammerless.

there's the mystery 4 placements right there

see nut museum for more info!

Peter_Puget said:

Bug -When did you get them? I don't remember Hex ever being symetrical.

1973 or 74.

Alpine, Camlocks never "worked like tri-cams". I know.... They were supposed to. But they were one of the most dangerous gimmics to ever be put on the shelves. They slipped out of any camming situation with any force not pefectly aligned. I still have one that I carry sometimes as a leave piece. But I would only use it like a static stopper, wedged in tight.

Crack N Ups rock my dome. I have a set of 6 or 7 and use em every time I go aiding. Way better than beaks for hand placing in thin cracks! More bomber than cam hooks in cracks with constrictions!

PP - I don't think a machine nut can be considered a Hex since it is small, symmetrical, and narrow. Most of the British ones from the 50's were square anyways not hexagonal. bigdrink.gif

I used crack-n-ups successfully way back when, but it has been many years since I did any real aid climbing and I gotta say, they did send me pitching into space without warning a couple of times. I'm not sure they are likely to pop out and stab you in the forehead, but hard aid climbing just plain scares me anyway.

mattp said:

I used crack-n-ups successfully way back when, but it has been many years since I did any real aid climbing and I gotta say, they did send me pitching into space without warning a couple of times. I'm not sure they are likely to pop out and stab you in the forehead, but hard aid climbing just plain scares me anyway.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

hard aid is like lsd: you cant come down even if you want to.