templates not necessary

Beck

templates not to true size, downloaded over the internet, will be a very inefficient way to mount ski bindings. It is general consensus in the ski shops that templates suck.

for home mounts, simply:

take ski, find chord center. extrapolate binding position on ski.

use awl or center punch to place starter marks.

drill with stopper. Don't forget to tap thry metal top sheets.

And good luck. but don't even try to use a missized template unless you are an idiot.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one smart enough to mount there own bindings will probably be smart enough to figure out how to use the templates as posted.

In case they are not, I will give a hint.... there are dimensions....

Please Beck, can you tell us, without looking at the template, how far ahead of chord center the screw holes for a G3 Targa binding go?

I can see why ski shops might think templates suck, they have access to jigs. Duh. wave.gif

nowhere have I said expert skier, but thanks for the compliment, alpine k... you are the best skiieer in the wurld, boss...

But i have been skiing since 1975. and mounted my first pair of ski bindings in the seventies as well. I cut tele turns in 1982 and sold my alpine boards in 1984 (partly to finance a trip to Lake Placid for the winter, but that's another story) and have never looked back at fixed heels.

So maybe that's why I'm not an "expert" and I have no claim to such.

I skied in the American West in 1986 when I lived in Nevada for a couple of years, and have been skiing the NW for a decade.

I've always mounted my own bindings. well, since 1978 or so.

and you, cracked, you youngster, how many years have you even been doing this kind of stuff? your website says, like four or five years?

you might need to use a template.

chord center on the riser for a G3, just line em all up and scribe the mark. easy as pie.

marylou said:

Beck said:

But i have been skiing since 1975.

I skied in the American West in 1986 when I lived in Nevada for a couple of years, and have been skiing the NW for a decade.

Sorry dude, these credentials don't really set you apart. Try to understand this.

rockband.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Beck said:chord center on the riser for a G3, just line em all up and scribe the mark. easy as pie.

cool.gif

Must be those newfangled G3s, coz mine don't have any such mark on the riser. confused.gif

I guess you are the expert though, you have three years more ski experience than me. rolleyes.gif Oh, I see you've skied alpine too! Wow, that does me in, I never really got into that shit, too technical for me. frown.gif

Beck said:

nowhere have I said expert skier, but thanks for the compliment, alpine k... you are the best skiieer in the wurld, boss...

But i have been skiing since 1975. and mounted my first pair of ski bindings in the seventies as well. I cut tele turns in 1982 and sold my alpine boards in 1984 (partly to finance a trip to Lake Placid for the winter, but that's another story) and have never looked back at fixed heels.

So maybe that's why I'm not an "expert" and I have no claim to such.

I've always mounted my own bindings. well, since 1978 or so.

and you, cracked, you youngster, how many years have you even been doing this kind of stuff? your website says, like four or five years?

you might need to use a template.

chord center on the riser for a G3, just line em all up and scribe the mark. easy as pie.

WOW, BECK! You must have really perfected the "praying mantis" by now!

...i'm no expert nor unique, i know that.

I started this info as an ajunct to the template thread.

you don't need templates to mount bindings, and espically not missized templates downloaded off the internet. And snoboy, it's easy to make the mark on your G3 shim. Extrapolate.

This post was to get cc.commers to think outside the box of what the manufacturer tells you how to do things.

i like skiing, everyone should ski more. I ski lots. i used to ski to school where i grew up. we all cross country skied. there were ski tracks all over town. Grandmas skiied to the store if it was nasty out. people would ski on their lunch hour, down to the tavern.

this doesn't make me better than anyone else, i'm just telling it like it is about the skiing, because i'm proud of how i grew up.

this doesn't make me an expert, it makes me an old ski fart.

mmm, skiing....

fruit.gif

I'll mount anyone's bindings for ten bucks and a beer! Free if you let me mount them on my skis! give all unwanted telemark equipment to Beck... he will sacrifice it to the mountain god.....