Mattp's wrong again.....

Peter_Puget

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairweather - some of us with left leanings do listen to what the other side has to say. I heard the Rush Limbaugh show on Tuesday on my way to the airport (90 minutes of it at least). I have to say that some of Tim Russert's comments about the budget deficit make sense. No one is looking (or at least talking) about the spending side of the country's balance sheet. However, I personally feel that a lot of republicans in office are blindly putting their heads in the sand on the Iraq and CIA issues for the sake of "the party".

As for your thoughts about the left being reactionary...I don't really see it. Some of the democrats in congress are asking questions about the WMD issue and wanting to know what the president knew when. They are also trying to get to the bottom of the outing of a CIA agent. These are important questions to have answers to.

If you disagree, I am baffled at how you can think that potential lying (March 03 letter from congressman still not responded to by whitehouse) and intimidation of potential witnesses (there's enough links on this is another thread) by the president and his administration are not important. I would also like to see more inquiries into the contracts being awarded to Haliburton and others with ties to the Pres and VP.

Please help me understand what you are talking about with regards to reactionary militia.

ehmmic said:

Please help me understand what you are talking about with regards to reactionary militia.

??? I think you've twisted/misquoted me. I compared the hysterics of today's left with the past hysteria of radical right-wing groups such as the Michigan militia.

I refer to WTO protests/(ers) as exibit A.

catbirdseat said:

Fairweather, I wouldn't call Dave Ross liberal. He's more of a moderate to me. However, I could see how he might seem liberal from your vantage point. Mike Webb, definitely left wing. Dory Monson, moderately conservative. KIRO doesn't have anyone on par with Fox or KJR.

Do they still have that Brian Suits guy, the ex-marine? That guy was a total righty. I was gonna make the same statement about Dave Ross. That guy rocks!

ehmmic said:

Fairweather - some of us with left leanings do listen to what the other side has to say. I heard the Rush Limbaugh show on Tuesday on my way to the airport (90 minutes of it at least). I have to say that some of Tim Russert's comments about the budget deficit make sense.

Rush Limbaugh has been off the air since last Friday. (In rehab, ya know.) Could you explain how you were able to hear him on Tuesday?

I've never heard anyone refer to Tim Russert as a conservative. Or a liberal, for that matter. Basically, he is the quintessential moderator.

catbirdseat said:

Fairweather, I wouldn't call Dave Ross liberal. He's more of a moderate to me. However, I could see how he might seem liberal from your vantage point. Mike Webb, definitely left wing. Dory Monson, moderately conservative. KIRO doesn't have anyone on par with Fox or KJR.

Dori Monson is my personal favorite! You're correct, he's right-of-center. And getting farther right every year. Dave Ross is very left of center IMHO. The two balance each other nicely though. I've never listened to KJR. (Do you mean KVI?)

Fairweather - you dismiss the study reported by Hakiowa because (you claim) the source is unquesitonnably and hopelessly biased. That is a complete evasion of the point and a classic conservative dodge - discredit the source and ignore the statement). That study, and others like it, have consistently shown that those whose major source of news is Fox TV are very likely to think that we found weapons of mass desctruction, that Saddam was responsbile for 911, or that he was closely tied to Al Queda, or all three. None of the above are true. People who listen to NPR as their major sources of news are not likely to have thess "misimpressions" or any others that are anywhere near as fundamentally flawed when it comes to the FACTS underlying today's discussion of the war.

I believe the Kato Institute and the Heritage Foundation are much more frequent commentators on NPR, then their liberal counterparts are commentators on FOX -- also that they are treated with much more respect and given much more of an opportunity to present their views coherently when they do so. Am I incorrect about this?

Fairweather said:

ehmmic said:

Fairweather - some of us with left leanings do listen to what the other side has to say. I heard the Rush Limbaugh show on Tuesday on my way to the airport (90 minutes of it at least). I have to say that some of Tim Russert's comments about the budget deficit make sense.

Rush Limbaugh has been off the air since last Friday. (In rehab, ya know.) Could you explain how you were able to hear him on Tuesday?

I've never heard anyone refer to Tim Russert as a conservative. Or a liberal, for that matter. Basically, he is the quintessential moderator.

Rush may be in a cushy rehab center, but the show must go on. I would imagine that the producers and Rush chose someone to stand in that had views consistent with the show and the listeners. I guess Tim was "moderating" the show then and was sticking to the conservative line...

And the WTO...if you're refering to the Seattle incidents from a few years ago, I find that hard to call recent given all the events in the past year.

Mattp, as usual, you have conveniently forgotten how you constantly compare the mainstream media to talk radio. Have you addressed my comparison; entertainment versus news? Have you replied to the statement I put forth about talk radio's admitted bias vs NPR's claim of neutrality? No. Instead you take a quick hop back to the FOX argument, which I have already admitted is biased to the right.

Before you accuse me of singular/convenient replies, you had better check your own practices. You are a master at this.

Now regarding the idea that FOX doesn't treat its liberal leaning guests with respect, I disagree. If you watch their news analysis, such as Brit Hume's show (I forget what it's called) the panel includes all sides of the political spectrum, including NPR anchors! If you are referring to the entertainment wing of FOX, such as Bill ORielly or Hannity/Colmes, I see no difference in the level of angst vs CNN Crossfire, or Cudlow/Cramer. I will agree however, that ALL cable news' mixture of hard news/entertainment can be confusing to the uninformed. (And yes, there are a lot of uninformed out there.)

The real issue is not the content of the reporting in the national media, but rather the inclusion/ommission factor. When I go to FOX's web-site I will see stories that are of interest to me as a conservative, not just the gloom and doom of the rest. I will see the successes and failures in Iraq, not just the grim "tally" of dead American soldiers, and then on to how promising unemployment numbers are actually bad.

As you probably have figured out, I am somewhat of a news junkie. (Drives my wife nuts!) I watch/listen to/read pretty much all sides. And the side I like best is the side that presents the stories that I find interesting, including NPR. Frankly Matt, I think you don't like FOX news, because it doesn't fit your view of how the world should be.

ehmmic said:

Fairweather said:

ehmmic said:

Rush may be in a cushy rehab center, but the show must go on. I would imagine that the producers and Rush chose someone to stand in that had views consistent with the show and the listeners. I guess Tim was "moderating" the show then and was sticking to the conservative line...

And the WTO...if you're refering to the Seattle incidents from a few years ago, I find that hard to call recent given all the events in the past year.

Wrong, Enmenic! You clearly stated that you listened to Rush Limbaugh on Tuesday. He has not been on the radio. Neither has Russert filled in for him. (Nor can I imagine he ever would!)

Edited by Fairweather

Gee Fairweather. You can only resort to personal attacks and disrespect by misspelling my name?

Well...I did listen to the show. If you can pause long enough to read my original post above I said I listened to the Rush Limbaugh show, not to him personally. And maybe I didn't get the name of the show host correct. If so I'll admit it. You are so paranoid that you accuse me of lying? Come on. Lame! At the time I wasn't trying to memorize all of the show for a future debate with you. But that is a nice conspiracy theory.

Whatever...I've emailed the producers to see who was guest hosting for him on Tuesday since their web site is so poorly designed and I can't seem to find the information.

Until then the_finger.gifwave.gif

Fairweather -

You mis-state my point here. I do not think talk shows and commentary are in the same "category" as news broadcasts, and while you may be able to pull some statement out of one of my posts where I said that right-wing talk shows counterbalance the liberal views expressed on NPR, I don't believe I ever said that news shows and commentary have to be viewed as the same type of information or held to the same standards. If I did, you are correct to point out that I was wrong.

Are you asserting that left wing think tanks are represented on FOX as often as right wing think tanks are represented on NPR because an NPR anchor appears on Brit Hume's show?

Would you care to answer my question (Hakio's point, really) about how NPR listeners may be factually mistaken the way that Fox listeners are?

By the way, you are damn right that I don't like FOX because it doesn't fit into my view of the world as it should be. I am not apologetic about that.

Fairweather said:

ehmmic said:

Fairweather said:

ehmmic said:

Wrong, Enmenic! You clearly stated that you listened to Rush Limbaugh on Tuesday. He has not been on the radio. Neither has Russert filled in for him. (Nor can I imagine he ever would!)

Oh shut the fuck up, Fairweather. God, you're fucking annoying, you're arguing a worthless point to try and make someone look like she's lying, when she isn't. Get a grip.

Just a quick link:

Link

I agree with the listeners who complained about the tone of the interview: Her questions were pointed from the beginning. She went after O'Reilly using critical quotes from the Franken book and a New York Times book review. That put O'Reilly at his most prickly and defensive mode, and Gross was never able to get him back into the interview in an effective way. This was surprising because Terry Gross is, in my opinion, one of the best interviewers anywhere in American journalism.

Although O'Reilly frequently resorts to bluster and bullying on his own show, he seemed unable to take her tough questions. He became angrier as the interview went along. But by coming across as a pro-Franken partisan rather than a neutral and curious journalist, Gross did almost nothing that might have allowed the interview to develop.

By the time the interview was about halfway through, it felt as though Terry Gross was indeed "carrying Al Franken's water," as some listeners say. It was not about O'Reilly's ideas, or his attitudes or even about his book. It was about O'Reilly as political media phenomenon. That's a legitimate subject for discussion, but in this case, it was an interview that was, in the end, unfair to O'Reilly.

Finally, an aspect of the interview that I found particularly disturbing: It happened when Terry Gross was about to read a criticism of Bill O'Reilly's book from People magazine. Before Gross could read it to him for his reaction, O'Reilly ended the interview and walked out of the studio. She read the quote anyway.

That was wrong. O'Reilly was not there to respond. It's known in broadcasting as the "empty chair" interview, and it is considered an unethical technique and should not be used on NPR.

I believe the listeners were not well served by this interview. It may have illustrated the "cultural wars" that seem to be flaring in the country. Unfortunately, the interview only served to confirm the belief, held by some, in NPR's liberal media bias.

A few comments:

The glass is half full

The glass is have empty

The glass is filled with a volume 50% its capacity

The glass on the table holds 100 oz. It currently contains 50.

In other words: If you believe that the "truthfulness" of the introduction indicates no bias, I say you do not understand bias.

Sometime ago I posted another NPR ombudsman link where he expressly admitted that NPR selects they information it presents so not to turnoff viewers that they hope to recieve $$$ from.

Look at the corrections list also avialbale online. Find all the corrections related to the Israeli/Palastinian conflict and divide them into two categories: the first where the intial report made the palestinians look good and the second where the initial report made the Israelis look good. Now compare the relative size of each. The result the pro palestinian category will be 300% the size of the pro Israeli category.

Thanks for the link, Pete. That was a good read.

What do you think about the "culture war". I see an America that has become increasingly accepting and tolerant, and yet many prominent political figures claim a culture war is being waged between liberals and conservatives.