Grizzly Bears

JERRY_SANCHEZ

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a horrible thing but I can't say it doesn't surprise me.

I've had numerous encounters with both Griz and Black Bears.

The 4 Griz I've seen all ran like hell with the exception of one. He was unintentionally trapped on a trail between our group and another so he stood on his hind legs and checked us out for about 5 min. before deciding to take off down a ravine. Hey what can I say I'm 150 Ib's of sheer muscle.

The black bears on the other hand have been far more numerous and aggressive. I had one with her cubs treed on the edge of a cutblock as I was treeplanting towards her. She was in the bushes making noises and about to charge me when I finally noticed her. Another came into camp 6 times before we had to shoot it. Another ripped apart 4 tents and would show no sign of fear towards 20 angry planters banging pots spraying mace and throwing fire crackers with a couple of barking Husky's, so it was shot. Another was shot inside of the planters tent after chasing the cook out of the mess tent.

Bears are like humans in a sense and while this probably sounds very inhumane everyone of these aggressive bears were nearing hibernation time and super skinny. They were desperate and very aggressive as they were unlikely to survive the winter if they didn't get a full belly of grub soon. We were also planting a burn area so the food supply was dismal. I guess just like humans you have different conditions and circumstances that create aggressiveness.

Boy am I going to get dumped on by the enviro's for this post.

Statistically, over the last 20 years more people have been mauled to death by black bears than grizzlies in BC. It could be just because black bears have a much larger range than grizzlies. Therefore scrambled legs assessment is correct. Black bears hurt you too.

You bear lovers should all read Nick Jans' excellent book titled "The Grizzly Maze." It is the Timothy Treadwell story in all its glory. I just read the part about the attack itself last night. The recovery team found a grand total of 40lbs. of human remains on the ground after the mauling/eating of Timothy and his girlfriend. More remains were found in the tummy of Bear 141.

Another great book for animal lovers is "The Devil's Teeth." Great white sharks off the CA coast. Awesome book by Susan Casey.

Cheers,

John Sharp

What a horrible thing but I can't say it doesn't surprise me.

I've had numerous encounters with both Griz and Black Bears.

The 4 Griz I've seen all ran like hell with the exception of one. He was unintentionally trapped on a trail between our group and another so he stood on his hind legs and checked us out for about 5 min. before deciding to take off down a ravine. Hey what can I say I'm 150 Ib's of sheer muscle.

The black bears on the other hand have been far more numerous and aggressive. I had one with her cubs treed on the edge of a cutblock as I was treeplanting towards her. She was in the bushes making noises and about to charge me when I finally noticed her. Another came into camp 6 times before we had to shoot it. Another ripped apart 4 tents and would show no sign of fear towards 20 angry planters banging pots spraying mace and throwing fire crackers with a couple of barking Husky's, so it was shot. Another was shot inside of the planters tent after chasing the cook out of the mess tent.

Bears are like humans in a sense and while this probably sounds very inhumane everyone of these aggressive bears were nearing hibernation time and super skinny. They were desperate and very aggressive as they were unlikely to survive the winter if they didn't get a full belly of grub soon. We were also planting a burn area so the food supply was dismal. I guess just like humans you have different conditions and circumstances that create aggressiveness.

Boy am I going to get dumped on by the enviro's for this post.

I love animals, wildlife, and the environment.

And I hunt. I spend more time explaining hunting to people than time I actually spend hunting.

Shooting an animal to save yourself or others is not an action that should have to be defended--you did the right thing.

Important Message for all Nature Lovers, Campers, and Hikers.

Camping, hiking or working in wild country can lead to close

encounters with bears, and because each species may react in a

different way, it is important to know how to tell them apart.

With the increase in bear attacks in recent years, Parks Canada

has come up with some strategies to keep you safe. Although you

don't want to startle a bear, you do want to let a bear know you

are in its vicinity. By tying a small bell to your jacket, the

gentle sound will be will heard and the bear will head in the

opposite direction. Just in case you still find yourself face to

face with a bear, also carry a can of pepper spray.

Under field conditions, bears are rarely in plain view; usually

they are partially hidden by shrubs, trees or rock. The next

strategy is to learn which bears are in the area you are

visiting, i.e. Black Bears or Grizzly Bears.

The foolproof way to tell, is to look for bear scats (droppings).

You can examine these scats to identify the foods consumed by the

bear. If the scats have a sweet fruity smell, and contains

berries, you can be sure it from a Black Bear.

If the dropping smell of pepper and contain tiny bells, you know

it's a Grizzly Bear.

----

Here's another way to tell Black bears from Grizzly bears.

First, as soon as you see a bear, climb up the nearest tree.

If the bear climbs up the tree and attacks you - it's a Black

bear.

If the bear pushes over the tree and attacks you - it's a

Grizzly bear.

If the dropping smell of pepper and contain tiny bells, you know

it's a Grizzly Bear.

boooo! booooo! damn that joke is older than the dirt i piss on.

Such sorry ass joke tellers like you need to enter the food chain at a lower spot plus I need to fatten up for the winter...where are you hiking next,Rad?

xoxo,

Griz

evils3d.gif

Herzog film like watching a car wreck....Herzog compares Treadwell to his film "Aguirre." The character Aguirre (a mutinous conquistador) was a tremendous fool and really a monsterous criminal (see also Herzog's "Nosferatu The Vampyre") ---& made for a great movie. Herzog's Treadwell wasn't a monster but certainly a big fool & with highly destructive insanity along with ability to manage a video camera. Possibly instructive to certain climbers & also those hunting for Loch Ness Monster, Yetis, Etc..

Edited by jerseyscum